Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of sk66's message #14190940 « D850 raw sizes compared (detail and noise) »

sk66
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: D850 raw sizes compared (detail and noise)

snapsy wrote:
sk66 wrote:
Why did you up-sample? I would think the choice to use a smaller image size would indicate smaller output...

For the detail comparison I used both the original sizes and the upsamples. For noise you have to use the same area of the sensor to compare equitably which is why I upsampled - agree, downsampled would probably have made more sense.

The smaller raw files are created by in camera image scaling, not by pixel binning (unfortunately), and they are in 12 bit not 14 bit. I'm fairly confident that the in camera scaling algorithm is not as capable as dedicated scaling software can be, and any image scaling runs the risk of adversely affecting IQ. By letting the camera downsample the file, and then upsampling the files in post, they have suffered twice. But even at that, I would say they held up rather well.

Sep 22, 2017 at 09:45 AM

Previous versions of sk66's message #14190940 « D850 raw sizes compared (detail and noise) »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.