Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Bobarino's message #14190205 « Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen? »

Bobarino
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

bs kite wrote:
steve807 wrote:
salt encourages corrosion which will not wash off

if you can get the ball out hit it with some 600 grit sandpaper

I still may try this. Have to go through the bottom I think. Would have to get the top mounting plate to release.

Let you know if I do this.

Try this, put equal parts white vinegar and rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle, and spray the ball until you're certain the solution is worked into the base of the ball-head. Rinse and repeat as necessary. At best, this will dissolve the salt crystals, and not remove rust from parts which are rusted and frozen tight. I suspect the "frozen" part is a rusted spring-loaded plate which travels in a channel on either side as you adjust tension. Hopefully that part has not rusted, and will dissolve the salt residue.

Once you've soaked and rinsed a few times, and the ball-head is still stuck, try spraying the ball with liberal amounts of penetrating oil, then rock it side to side, to allow the lubricant to come into contact with the rusted part. This spring-loaded plate is sometimes located on the opposite side from the tension knob. Be patient, and don't force the tension knob,,,, but work it continuously.

Keeping my fingers crossed,,,, good luck.

Sep 21, 2017 at 09:54 PM
Bobarino
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

bs kite wrote:
steve807 wrote:
salt encourages corrosion which will not wash off

if you can get the ball out hit it with some 600 grit sandpaper

I still may try this. Have to go through the bottom I think. Would have to get the top mounting plate to release.

Let you know if I do this.

Try this, put equal parts white vinegar and rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle, and spray the ball until you're certain the solution is worked into the base of the ball-head. Rinse and repeat as necessary. At best, this will dissolve the salt crystals, and not remove rust from parts which are rusted and frozen tight. I suspect the "frozen" part is a rusted spring-loaded plate which travels in a channel on either side as you adjust tension. Hopefully that part has not rusted, and the salt-water residue will dissolve the salt residue.

Once you've soaked and rinsed a few times, and the ball-head is still stuck, try spraying the ball with liberal amounts of penetrating oil, then rock it side to side, to allow the lubricant to come into contact with the rusted part. This spring-loaded plate is sometimes located on the opposite side from the tension knob. Be patient, and don't force the tension knob,,,, but work it continuously.

Keeping my fingers crossed,,,, good luck.

Sep 21, 2017 at 09:50 PM

Previous versions of Bobarino's message #14190205 « Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen? »