Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #14188909 « Did Fuji mess up the most important feature on the X-E3? »

gdanmitchell
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Did Fuji mess up the most important feature on the X-E3?

dmacmillan wrote:
XE2S Viewfinder:
Viewfinder
0.5-in., approx. 2.360K-dot OLED color viewfinder
Coverage of viewing area vs. capturing area : approx. 100%
Eye point : approx. 23mm (from the rear end of the camera's eyepiece)
Diopter adjustment : -4m-1 to +2m-1
Magnification : 0.62x with 50mm lens (35mm format equivalent) at infinity and diopter set to - 1.0m-1
Diagonal angle of view : approx. 30 (Horizontal angle of view : approx. 25)
Built-in eye sensor

XE3 Viewfinder:
0.39-in., Approx. 2,360K-dot OLED color viewfinder, Coverage of viewing area vs. capturing area : Approx. 100%
Eye point : Approx. 17.5mm [ from the rear end of the camera's eyepiece], Diopter adjustment : -4m - +2m-1[dpt]
Magnification : 0.62x with 50mm lens[35mm format equivalent] at infinity and diopter set to -1m-1.
Diagonal angle of view : Approx. 30[ Horizontal angle of view : Approx. 25] Built-in eye sensor
Those specs are from the Fuji web site.

Here's a summary:
.039 vs .5
Eyepoint 17.5mm vs 23mm
Magnification: .62 vs .62

So, what does this mean? What I'm reading is you have to get your eye closer to the viewfinder. If you do, will the viewfinder image look about the same size?

I never shoot with glasses. If what I think that means is true, it won't affect me, but will affect eyeglass wearers. No one in the fanboy reviews has mentioned the viewfinder. I did notice a lot of the new videos show them shooting from the LCD.

BTW, the specs for the XE3 viewfinder is the same as for the XT20. If you've shot with the XT20, you should have an idea.

Bottom line, it's not a deal breaker for me, though I understand the concern.

I think it means that a) the physical screen inside the camera has smaller dimensions and b) your eye will be closer to the viewfinder so you'll probably see an image that is about the same size.

The smaller screen itself should be a problem if it has similar or better quality and the same number of pixels. In fact, using a smaller internal display is probably partly to keep the camera size small.

I shoot with the XPro2 with glasses. It works fine.

I found a chart with eye points for several older Fujifilm cameras:

X-Pro1 - 14mm
X100T - 15mm
X-Pro2 - 16mm
X-T10 - 17.5mm
X-T1 - 23mm
X-E2 - 23mm

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:25 PM

Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #14188909 « Did Fuji mess up the most important feature on the X-E3? »