Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #14185012 « Am I Crazy? XE2s instead of XT2 »

gdanmitchell
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Am I Crazy? XE2s instead of XT2

My first x-trans camera was the XE1, and I continued to use it for nearly four years before replacing it with the XPro2. The XE(1,2,3) bodies have a lot to offer, especially if you are fine about what they don't include.

Pluses: very small body size, low weight, the same sensor (and image quality) as any other x-trans cameras with the same sensors, interchangeable lenses.

Minuses: Fewer external controls, small body size (not everyone likes it!), less optimal EVF.

On balance, for many people, it can be ideal.

If I were getting on and working within your budget I would probably hold out for the new XE3, since it comes with the most recent 24MP sensor and almost certainly improves things like AF speed. If you like zooms, that 18-55 kits lens is actually quite capable — it is in a different class than the similar kit lenses from, say, Canon.

What about the XE2 and XE2s? They do use the older 16MP sensor. We could argue that one either direction. The 24MP sensor is "better" in several ways, but the 16MP sensors are quite good, too.* (I recently sold a 18" x 28" print made on the XE1 to a design firm, and it looked great — even though I had to crop it from the original frame.) Once you apply the firmware upgrade to the XE2 it is, for all intents and purposes, the XE2s — so you could consider a real budget approach of getting the XE2 and upgrading.

As to the ergonomics of the small XE3 (and similar) bodies, it is something of a mixed bag. When I first got my XE1 I was not happy with the interface. I found myself accidentally pushing buttons (especially the macro mode button) and accidentally moving the exposure compensation knob. But then I realized that it might be me as much as the camera, and a combination of adaptations made a big difference: I readjusted how I held the camera, I found that I could lock the macro button, and I learned to be more careful about the EC knob. (Though I still feel that the Fujifilm bodies make this a bit of an issue.)

Good luck.

* In another thread here I just posted a 300 dpi scan of a 5"x 7" section clipped out of a 20" x 30" print that came from the 16MP XE1. If you have a printer, download the file, size it to 5" x 7" and 300 resolution, and print it out on a sheet of letter size paper to see what you'd get at 20" x 30".

Sep 17, 2017 at 09:57 PM
gdanmitchell
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Am I Crazy? XE2s instead of XT2

My first x-trans camera was the XE1, and I continued to use it for nearly four years before replacing it with the XPro2. The XE(1,2,3) bodies have a lot to offer, especially if you are fine about what they don't include.

Pluses: very small body size, low weight, the same sensor (and image quality) as any other x-trans cameras with the same sensors, interchangeable lenses.

Minuses: Fewer external controls, small body size (not everyone likes it!), less optimal EVF.

On balance, for many people, it can be ideal.

If I were getting on and working within your budget I would probably hold out for the new XE3, since it comes with the most recent 24MP sensor and almost certainly improves things like AF speed. If you like zooms, that 18-55 kits lens is actually quite capable — it is in a different class than the similar kit lenses from, say, Canon.

What about the XE2 and XE2s? They do use the older 16MP sensor. We could argue that one either direction. The 24MP sensor is "better" in several ways, but the 16MP sensors are quite good, too. (I recently sold a 18" x 28" print made on the XE1 to a design firm, and it looked great — even though I had to crop it from the original frame.) Once you apply the firmware upgrade to the XE2 it is, for all intents and purposes, the XE2s — so you could consider a real budget approach of getting the XE2 and upgrading.

As to the ergonomics of the small XE3 (and similar) bodies, it is something of a mixed bag. When I first got my XE1 I was not happy with the interface. I found myself accidentally pushing buttons (especially the macro mode button) and accidentally moving the exposure compensation knob. But then I realized that it might be me as much as the camera, and a combination of adaptations made a big difference: I readjusted how I held the camera, I found that I could lock the macro button, and I learned to be more careful about the EC knob. (Though I still feel that the Fujifilm bodies make this a bit of an issue.)

Good luck.

Sep 17, 2017 at 07:37 PM

Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #14185012 « Am I Crazy? XE2s instead of XT2 »