Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #14184406 « No pics ... just seeking some input (pic added) »

RustyBug
Upload & Sell: On
No pics ... just seeking some input

I just came back from a wedding, where the photographer left before 1st dance to go shoot another gig.

I overheard the photographer telling the bride "that's what you paid me for" ... but, I don't know the context. They hugged and it seemed amicable as the photographer departed.

The father of the bride later told me that the bride was upset by the departure, but again, no details. The father of the bride (a friend of a friend) asked me if I could take some pics of the cake cutting, 1st dance, father- daughter dance, etc.

Unfortunately, this was in a dimly lit interior, and I was not carrying any flash, so I'm not holding my breath on the outcomes, but I gave it my best under the circumstances. It had been an outdoor ceremony and I only planned to take a few snaps (since I already knew they had a photographer covering) while outside (i.e. unprepared for interior work).

Any thoughts that you guys might offer regarding quality / quantity of pics that would seem appropriate to provide. Normally, I cull hard ... yet, with this being a "once in a lifetime" scenario, I'm a little uncertain if I will cull hard and only give a handful of pics, or if I will relax my standards and give them some of those "lesser quality" images also (since I was "only a guest") as mementos.

I do believe in the premise that you are only as good as your work reveals you to be, so I'd prefer to not have any "low standards" work out there. OTOH, they are the only shots available. Do I get creative with them, or just provide them as recordings only. And what, if any / some / none does this impact with the "other photographer"? Do I keep my nose out of it, or am I now part of it.

It's been more than 20 years since I shot my last wedding, so I certainly don't have a "wedding photographer" shingle out there these days. That to me, leaves me merely as a guest, even though I did take on the role of "next man up" to perform as their photographer for the remainder of the event. Just wondering what some diff thoughts on the matter might be as I try to figure out what to provide them (and how much work in doing so).

On one hand, I know I shot hand-cuffed. On the other hand ... I'm all they got.

When I went to shoot the first shot of the cake, the bride told me that she (the bride) had "failed". I responded by telling her that she didn't fail (I can only assume that she meant she may have misunderstood the terms she had with the other photographer), that she couldn't fail, as she was the bride. Now, I just want to come through for them, but I don't want to put my name on something that I normally would not do.

You thoughts are appreciated.

BTW ... I've already been handsomely paid for my services with some delicious "apple pie" beverage.

Sep 16, 2017 at 10:28 PM

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #14184406 « No pics ... just seeking some input (pic added) »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.