Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of MayaTlab's message #14183812 « New rumored Profoto product »

MayaTlab
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: New rumored Profoto product

jlafferty wrote:
I find claims like these to be dubious. At best the center of a narrow beam of coverage might approach 200ws output but the coverage is a limitation. Put it in a modifier that gets 3/4 or full length coverage at 6-8ft and then we'll see how it really stands.

MayaTlab wrote:
There isn't much you can do to go beyond the A1's Ws rating in a compact package.

Since it's got a fresnel, if the zoom goes tight enough, it will easily match or even surpass a 250 Ws B2 with a grid for example.

Which is exactly why I explicitely compared it to a B2 with a grid, i.e exactly where an optical modifier (here, the fresnel) will easily close the gap. The grid absorbs light rays, meaning that the light output at the centre is close to the head, when bare. The fresnel re-directs them, so you get more light hitting a smaller area.

Heck, even a lowly 430 EX III at 100mm can match in terms of light output a B2 with a 10 grid. I've got both of them, and tested it.

Put them in an umbrella or a soft box, and yep, of course the B2 will be far more powerful. Because that's a scenario where the fresnel isn't bringing any advantage since you aren't exploiting its optical properties.

In the example below, the silver umbrella (which is a sort of optical modifier) on the left sends a beam of light that's roughly comparable in terms of angle to a 20 grid. To get the same light output on the wall in front of the setup, the pack was set at 5.0 for the umbrella, and around 7.5 for the grid, so the umbrella is around 2.5 stops more efficient. Depending on how the A1 fresnel works, it can reach similar figures.

Sep 16, 2017 at 04:11 PM
MayaTlab
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: New rumored Profoto product

jlafferty wrote:
I find claims like these to be dubious. At best the center of a narrow beam of coverage might approach 200ws output but the coverage is a limitation. Put it in a modifier that gets 3/4 or full length coverage at 6-8ft and then we'll see how it really stands.

MayaTlab wrote:
There isn't much you can do to go beyond the A1's Ws rating in a compact package.

Since it's got a fresnel, if the zoom goes tight enough, it will easily match or even surpass a 250 Ws B2 with a grid for example.

Which is exactly why I explicitely compared it to a B2 with a grid, i.e exactly where an optical modifier (here, the fresnel) will easily close the gap. The grid absorbs light rays, meaning that the light output at the centre is close to the head, when bare. The fresnel re-directs them, so you get more light hitting a smaller area.

Heck, even a lowly 430 EX III at 100mm can match in terms of light output a B2 with a 10 grid. I've got both of them, and tested it.

Put them in an umbrella or a soft box, and yep, of course the B2 will be far more powerful. Because that's a scenario where the fresnel isn't bringing any advantage since you aren't exploiting its optical properties.

Sep 16, 2017 at 04:00 PM

Previous versions of MayaTlab's message #14183812 « New rumored Profoto product »