Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of aboudd's message #14171160 « Giving back - photo tutoring online »

aboudd
Upload & Sell: On
Giving back - photo tutoring online

I'll +1 to kaplah. Early in my career I studied with two top photographers in their fields, Joe Zeltsman and Jay Maisel. Critique was the important element in these lessons. A good mentor does not force his viewpoint on a student, but rather uses critique to help the student uncover their own creative flow. When Maisel would review my work he would start with the elements he liked in the photograph and then point out what didn't work and why. Not so much, "this should be here and that should be there," but the overall impact of the image. Zeltsman on the other hand, did teach technique, a sculptural approach to portraits using 5 angles that to portray the subject without distorted features. I've tortured the technique many times over the years for a dramatic effect in editorial or illustrative use, and I've also used it for classical boardroom portraits. What impressed me about these mentors, both at the top of their respective disciplines, is that they left their ego at the door and treated students with courtesy and respect. That inspires a student and that is what good critique does.

Sep 06, 2017 at 04:13 PM

Previous versions of aboudd's message #14171160 « Giving back - photo tutoring online »