Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Phillip Reeve's message #14167767 « Jordan at Admiring Light reviews Sony FE 70-200f/2.8 GM »

Phillip Reeve
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Jordan at Admiring Light reviews Sony FE 70-200f/2.8 GM

Steve Spencer wrote:
snapsy wrote:
lightskyland wrote:
Why are his conclusions so different from the various reviewers who have slagged the lens as unsharp?

Is this sample variation?

I don't think so since Lens Rentals found the same relative performance on all the copies they tested. I think it's just a matter of different expectations and not directly comparing it to the Canikon alternatives.

Actually, I don't think Lens Rentals has every published variation data on the FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM. The one copy they tested they said was middle of the road and they did say most lenses had issues, but I suspect there still might be a lot of copy to copy variation in performance at each focal length. Roger has noted that he is not 100% sure that he is getting best focus with this lens because there are 2 different focussing groups. It seems very likely the tests are fine, but he can't be sure. Perhaps that is why they haven't published the variation data.

That is not current information.

Quote Roger:

"We tested it, thought the results were accurate, but Sony insisted they couldn't be, they knew the lens was better than we showed.

Given that the lens had new technology, we were completely willing to consider our results might not be accurate and tried several suggestions from Sony, and several of our own ideas. Then we waited and repeated tests on later batches in case just the early ones had problems. Our results were always the same and as we investigated the lens more we found multiple reasons to be more comfortable with our results. They are valid and accurate.

There is still the possibility that the lens performs better close up than at infinity, but that always exists. But the Sony computer generated results that are way better than our real world tests are done at infinity. So a lot of time was spent confirming that the lens isn't as good in real life as Sony thought it was going to be.

Doing all this took many months. By the time we were done we figured not many people cared and we had lots of other things to do, so I never wrote up an official report. And there's the part that Sony fanboys are becoming the worst and writing a negative Sony article means hours and hours of responding to emails and comments. "

Sep 03, 2017 at 06:51 PM

Previous versions of Phillip Reeve's message #14167767 « Jordan at Admiring Light reviews Sony FE 70-200f/2.8 GM »