Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of rscheffler's message #14156003 « New Canon 85/1.4L IS and TS-E lenses! »

rscheffler
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: New Canon 85/1.4L IS and TS-E lenses!

Peter Figen wrote:I wonder also how close the T stops are on the two lenses - maybe closer than you think. It may be that practically speaking the new 1.4 lens is not much different in light gathering ability than the old 1.2, plus if it has less vignetting wide open that would affect the perception of speed as well.

johnctharp wrote:
If we were to use the 35/1.4L II as a guide, we might expect the overall T-stop to be lower at f/1.4 due to vignetting, which seems to be a trend for highly correct lenses as of late. Zeiss' Otus line also exhibit this behavior.

So the 85/1.2L II may very well have a greater transmission advantage over the incoming 85/1.4L IS than one would expect from the difference in marketed f-stops.

Would like to see what the rear element looks like. Consider also the current 85L is 72mm filter and this one will be 77mm, assuming it's not just added girth/bulk due to IS and other components, like how all recent lenses seem to be getting fatter... I'd like to see better across-frame performance at wider apertures. I.e. a pretty flat field with consistent sharpness.

I will get one for sure. Already asked my dealer to put my name down. It will be useful for the usual weddings/events type work.

I would also like to see a 135L IS, but f/2 or f/2.5 to keep size reasonable. Actually I'd rather have a 70-135/2L IS...

Aug 24, 2017 at 05:59 PM

Previous versions of rscheffler's message #14156003 « New Canon 85/1.4L IS and TS-E lenses! »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.