Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of retrofocus's message #14153922 « Zenit is back! FF digital mirrorless coming »

retrofocus
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Zenit is back! FF digital mirrorless coming

George Orwell wrote:
retrofocus wrote:
Possible - but I would keep my expectations on the lower side at this point. Making a FF mirrorless camera from scratch is not as easy as it might sound. It would be nice to see a competitive and much more affordable FF mirrorless model versus Sony and Leica offerings.

If this rumor really proves to be right in 2018, it might not be the "ideal" FF mirrorless camera but hey - it might be a start. Who thought that the Chinese (7Artisans) were suddenly able to make a 50/1.0 M-mount lens which is not as perfectly built as the competitive Noctilux lens, but it is sold for approx. 1/30th of the Leica price and is still decent.

A bit off-topic, but I am still scratching my head that none of the two big photo companies have issued a FF mirrorless camera yet, neither did Fuji. Fuji even stated that they will abandon the FF mirrorless route - a decision which really surprised me because they theoretically had the best setup and experience to compete with Sony in this market. Canon, okay, here I had low expectations anyway since they have gotten very slow with out-of-the-box developments. And Nikon likely was or still is bound to a contract with Sony to receive Sony sensors but not to compete in the FF mirrorless market (I am speculating here). The niche is still open for #2 in the FF mirrorless market (discounting Leica for a moment here) - a market position which is still good to have to make profits. Other, smaller manufacturers might have realized this.

A Sony A7 is very affordable so I dont see why you need anything cheaper.

Fujifilm makes almost no money from selling cameras so for them to not invest in FF is easy to understand. They operate their camera business just to keep their name in the public eye. Their profits, if they have any, are a rounding error to their balance sheet. Fuji still makes the vast majority if their imaging profits from film processing and instax film.

The latest series of Sony A7 is cheap? Seriously? Please.....

Aug 23, 2017 at 06:22 AM

Previous versions of retrofocus's message #14153922 « Zenit is back! FF digital mirrorless coming »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.