Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Viramati's message #14143518 « LensRentals 16-35mm f/2.8 GM MTF Tests »

Viramati
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: LensRentals 16-35mm f/2.8 GM MTF Tests

Fred Miranda wrote:
It's not surprising we are loving the 16-35GM rendering...

At 35mm f/2.8, background rendering is slightly smoother when compared to the same scene shot with the Zeiss 35/1.4 ZA @f/2.8.
Bokeh balls are much cleaner with only traces of onion ring pattern while the Zeiss 35/1.4 has lots of it. The balls are very rounded at f/2.8 for the GM (wide-open) while the Zeiss not so much (2-stops down). At f/2.8, they are very similar in LoCA correction which I consider a great performance for the GM zoom since it's wide-open.

The Zeiss has more contrast and vivid colors while the 16-35/2.8 has that "GM" signature flatter tone and more subdued color palette in comparison (easily matched in post).
I've been testing in my kitchen. and don't what to show these images. I will take better pictures and post some samples later on.

Take my word on this. Its bokeh is amazing for a zoom and it's actually more pleasant than what we get from Sony's best prime at same aperture. Of course the 35/1.4 ZA will blur the background much more at f/2 and f/1.4 but as far as smoothness goes, the GM is a winner.

An example of the beautiful Bokeh balls and smooth transition that Fred was talking about

Buddha in a bookshop by Viramati, on Flickr

showing transition but not quite wide open but at f3.5

Mushroom by Viramati, on Flickr

Aug 14, 2017 at 10:06 AM
Viramati
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: LensRentals 16-35mm f/2.8 GM MTF Tests

Fred Miranda wrote:
It's not surprising we are loving the 16-35GM rendering...

At 35mm f/2.8, background rendering is slightly smoother when compared to the same scene shot with the Zeiss 35/1.4 ZA @f/2.8.
Bokeh balls are much cleaner with only traces of onion ring pattern while the Zeiss 35/1.4 has lots of it. The balls are very rounded at f/2.8 for the GM (wide-open) while the Zeiss not so much (2-stops down). At f/2.8, they are very similar in LoCA correction which I consider a great performance for the GM zoom since it's wide-open.

The Zeiss has more contrast and vivid colors while the 16-35/2.8 has that "GM" signature flatter tone and more subdued color palette in comparison (easily matched in post).
I've been testing in my kitchen. and don't what to show these images. I will take better pictures and post some samples later on.

Take my word on this. Its bokeh is amazing for a zoom and it's actually more pleasant than what we get from Sony's best prime at same aperture. Of course the 35/1.4 ZA will blur the background much more at f/2 and f/1.4 but as far as smoothness goes, the GM is a winner.

An example of the beautiful Bokeh balls and smooth transition that Fred was talking about

Buddha in a bookshop by Viramati, on Flickr
showing transition but not quite wide open but at f3.5

Mushroom by Viramati, on Flickr

Aug 14, 2017 at 06:23 AM

Previous versions of Viramati's message #14143518 « LensRentals 16-35mm f/2.8 GM MTF Tests »