Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of zhangyue's message #14143516 « D850, now confirmed spec, what you think? »

zhangyue
Upload & Sell: On
D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

I am lugging my Leica S 35/70/180 and tripod to mountain for 10 miles hike in Sequoia and kings canyon national park. I did the same in Canada rocky. Unless I am doing overnight hike, I don't see this is a problem. Yes, it is heavier, but viewing experience is way better. I miss flip LCD though, especially for tripod work.

I can see many reasons to adapter small lenses on Sony. But once you put Huge SLR lens on it, the advantage disappeared. I did bring A7RII. At high contrast sequoia nation forest, the EVF is totally unpleasant, do any of you guys shooting all WO during travelling under day light? I found most of my shot at least f5.6 for no people and it is almost impossible to miss focusing with SLR body and fast glass for manual focusing. If shoot image with people with WO, I am not a fan of using magnifying. For non moving stuff, at any distance, no time pressure, even shooting fast glass WO, I usually have no problem with that. There is many way you can get in focused image with time.

Sony alpha system meant to be used with native lenses or adapter small lens for landscape or travelling, I think that is reasonable but I failed to see that is the future? Maybe until it offer true analog experience EVF with infinity DR? and at the same time, camera, lenses are smaller cheaper?

Adam, I understand what you say. It make sense at least for your case. Eye AF is great tool for professional at fast pace portrait session but it seems not always working. For example, strong back lit or face turn side, and for the way I use it, (using AF/MF) if it is not work, I have to toggle that to back to AEL to active AF-on, Usually you find that out camera is already on your eyes and ready to shoot. that is a hustle and you will miss the moment.

Nikon actually do have face recognition and using full auto, it can nail focus on EYES as well. It works pretty well with sigma 35mm I have and D810. I can even capture about half of images sharp WO with my son running toward me with pretty short shooting distance, a challenge for any camera system. I can imagine with D5 type AF and 24-70 type of fast AF glass, this will be useful tool for dynamic shooting.

I personally don't use it much as I like fully control on stuff means I want frame and focusing as planed. For A7RII, I always try to use eye AF feature but I find more than half of time, it is not active and I have to revert back to normal focusing. And the AF is noticeable slower than D810, tracking is worse too with 35/55FE. With A7RII, the AF, frame black out and shutter delay is also very noticeable.

As compare to M, it is awesome for street, no better tool for that, (I think flip LCD will helpful for many interest angle street shots as well) but for landscape, it is obviously not as good as any other top offers. NR is PITA for long exposure. and I personally always enjoy SLR shooting experience especially look out with fast glass directly through bright OVF. AS for video, I personally don't use it but I agree why not. There is many way to hide it if you don't want it. It offer value for customers and who know I might want document some short clips someday.

Aug 15, 2017 at 12:39 PM
zhangyue

I am lugging my Leica S 35/70/180 and tripod to mountain for 10 miles hike in Sequoia and kings canyon national park. I did the same in Canada rocky. Unless I am doing overnight hike, I don't see this is a problem. Yes, it is heavier, but viewing experience is way better. I miss flip LCD though, especially for tripod work.

I can see many reasons to adapter small lenses on Sony. But once you put Huge SLR lens on it, the advantage disappeared. I did bring A7RII. At high contrast sequoia nation forest, the EVF is totally unpleasant, do any of you guys shooting all WO during travelling under day light? I found most of my shot at least f5.6 for no people and it is almost impossible to miss focusing with SLR body and fast glass for manual focusing. If shoot image with people with WO, but not a fan of using magnifying. For non moving stuff, at any distance, no time pressure, even shooting fast glass WO, I usually have no problem with that. There is many way you can get in focused image with time.

Sony alpha system meant to be used with native lenses or adapter small lens for landscape or travelling, I think that is reasonable but I failed to see that is the future? Maybe until it offer true analog experience EVF with infinity DR? and at the same time, camera, lenses are smaller cheaper?

Adam, I understand what you say. It make sense at least for your case. Eye AF is great tool for professional at fast pace portrait session but it seems not always working. For example, strong back lit or face turn side, and for the way I use it, (using AF/MF) if it is not work, I have to toggle that to back to AEL to active AF-on, Usually you find that out camera is already on your eyes and ready to shoot. that is a hustle and you will miss the moment.

Nikon actually do have face recognition and using full auto, it can nail focus on EYES as well. It works pretty well with sigma 35mm I have and D810. I can even capture about half of images sharp WO with my son running toward me with pretty short shooting distance, a challenge for any camera system. I can imagine with D5 type AF and 24-70 type of fast AF glass, this will be useful tool for dynamic shooting.

I personally don't use it much as I like fully control on stuff means I want frame and focusing as planed. For A7RII, I always try to use eye AF feature but I find more than half of time, it is not active and I have to revert back to normal focusing. And the AF is noticeable slower than D810, tracking is worse too with 35/55FE. With A7RII, the AF, frame black out and shutter delay is also very noticeable.

As compare to M, it is awesome for street, no better tool for that, (I think flip LCD will helpful for many interest angle street shots as well) but for landscape, it is obviously not as good as any other top offers. NR is PITA for long exposure. and I personally always enjoy SLR shooting experience especially look out with fast glass directly through bright OVF. AS for video, I personally don't use it but I agree why not. There is many way to hide it if you don't want it. It offer value for customers and who know I might want document some short clips someday.

Aug 15, 2017 at 12:20 PM
zhangyue

I can see many reasons to adapter small lenses on Sony. But once you put Huge SLR lens on it, the advantage disappeared. I did bring A7RII. At high contrast sequoia nation forest, the EVF is totally unpleasant, do any of you guys shooting all WO during travelling under day light? I found most of my shot at least f5.6 for no people and it is almost impossible to miss focusing with SLR body and fast glass for manual focusing. If shoot image with people with WO, but not a fan of using magnifying. For non moving stuff, at any distance, no time pressure, even shooting fast glass WO, I usually have no problem with that. There is many way you can get in focused image with time.

As compare to M, it is awesome for street, no better tool for that, (I think flip LCD will helpful for many interest angle street shots as well) but for landscape, it is obviously not as good as any other top offers. NR is PITA for long exposure. and I personally always enjoy SLR shooting experience especially look out with fast glass directly through bright OVF.

Aug 15, 2017 at 12:18 PM
zhangyue
Re: D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

I am lugging my Leica S 35/70/180 and tripod to mountain for 10 miles hike in sequoial and kings canyon national park. I did the same in Canada rocky. Unless I am doing overnight hike, I don't see this is a problem. Yes, it is heavier, but viewing experience is way better. I miss flip LCD though, especially for tripod work.

I can see many reasons to adapter small lenses on Sony. But once you put Huge SLR lens on it, the advantage disappeared. I did bring A7RII. At high contrast sequoia nation forest, the EVF is totally unpleasant, do any of you guys shooting all WO? I found most of my shot at least f5.6 for non people, is almost impossible miss focusing with SLR body with fast glass. If shoot people, yeh, i shoot WO atop, but use magnifier? Common. For non moving stuff, at any distance, no time pressure, Shooting fast glass, what is the problem with OVF? I can nail focus every time.

Sony alpha system meant to be used with native lenses or adapter small lens for landscape, I get that, but why everyone say that is the future? Maybe until it offer true analog experience EVF with infinity DR.

Adam, I understand what you say. It make sense at least for your case. Eye AF is great but not always working. Especially for face turn side, and the way I use it,(AF/MF) if it is not work, I have to toggle that to AEL to active AF, which is a hustle. Nikon actually do have face recognition and using full auto, it can nail focus on EYES as well. Just I don't use it much as I like fully control on stuff. At least for A7RII, the AF is much slower than D810, tracking is worse too with 35/55FE I have. A9 I don't know, but A7RII, the AF, frame black out and shutter delay is very noticeable.
As for M, it is awesome for street, no better tool, but for landscape, it is obviously not as good as any other top offer. LNR is PITA. and I always enjoy SLR shooting experience especially look fast glass directly through bright OVF.

Sorry for typo from mobile.

Aug 14, 2017 at 01:21 AM

Previous versions of zhangyue's message #14143516 « D850, now confirmed spec, what you think? »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.