Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of AGeoJO's message #14119492 « Long reach using Sony E-mount cameras - optical 1120mm with AF! »

AGeoJO
Upload & Sell: On
Long reach using Sony E-mount cameras - optical 1120mm with AF!

Fred Miranda wrote:
AGeoJO wrote:
Jannik Peters wrote:
I'd really love to see how your construction looks like on the A7RII

Here are 3 images taken of the setup using my iPad. I hope these help. Please let me know if you have any further questions. The total focal length of this is 1,120mm. I replaced the FE 2X with the FE 1.4X for the owl in flight image and the FL is 784mm. I could also remove the Canon 1.4X TC in the setup above and get a focal length of 800mm. The image quality between the two is virtually the same. It seems that the 1,120mm strikes a balance there; the AF is working fine (in green mode, mind you) and the optical quality is still excellent.

BTW, I do have a Canon 2X Mark III TC. Too bad, the AF doesn't work reliably any more. If you want to manually focus, it still works and again, the total FL would 1,600mm.

Vcize wrote:
Wow, that is some impressive stuff there.

Thank you, Ryan!

This picture made my day Joshua. That's another advantage for Sony when adapting Canon big whites. You can have extenders from Sony and Canon at the same time!

I will be the first to ask. Did you try the Sony 2x extender combined with Canon's 2x? Physically, it would be possible with your set-up.

Thank you, Fred! Yes, and Metabones V made it possible. Again, I am not related to Metabones in any shape or form. I edited my post to just address exactly what you meant. Physically, yes, I could actually use both 2X TC from both brands and I did. The AF is kind of iffy though but the optical quality is OK. The longer you get, the less the light, the worse the AF and the IQ. At f/2.8, the Canon 400mm is the fastest lens and one can try the 500mm for longer reach but the aperture of that lens is "only" f/4. The same goes for the 600mm f/4 Mark II but I don't have that lens anymore. I am putting the Canon 2X TC for sale but I may have to withdraw that and use it if push comes to shove to get a FL of 1,600mm .

Frankly, the longer the lens, the more difficult it is to zero in on your target. With a 1,200mm FL lens, even if the bird is just perching on a branch you have to look for it. We can forget about tracking a bird in flight with that, even if the AF is enabled, let alone at 1,600mm . I can't do it, maybe some of the more skilled birder can but you need a nice gimbal head for that, too.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:10 PM

Previous versions of AGeoJO's message #14119492 « Long reach using Sony E-mount cameras - optical 1120mm with AF! »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.