Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of mdude85's message #14109964 « Newspaper Used 4-6 of my images without my permission - thoughts? »

mdude85
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Newspaper Used 4-6 of my images without my permission - t...

Since your wife already provided one photo for free, that puts a bit of a damper on how much real value the photos have. But it's definitely a clear case of a non-permitted use of your material -- lifting photos without permission and then cropping out the watermark is a pretty brazen offense.

My advice is first get on the phone with the editor in question to discuss the matter personally. Say you'd like to be paid fairly for the photos. The newspaper's employees won't work for free, so why should you?

Then, as a follow-up to the phone call, send an email.

If that's met with pushback, I would then publicly shame the newspaper by posting your account (along with the response you receive from the editor, if any) on your Facebook page, making sure to tag the newspaper's Facebook page in the process. Newspapers lift Facebook photos all the time, and then wrongly claim that the photos are in the "public domain". Their ignorance of copyright law is astounding given that they, themselves, are in the business of creating and distributing original work.

You could also make a threat of legal action via small claims court, but that might require more time and/or effort than it's worth.

Jul 17, 2017 at 07:32 PM
mdude85
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Newspaper Used 4-6 of my images without my permission - t...

Since your wife already provided one photo for free, that puts a bit of a damper on how much real value the photos have. But it's definitely a clear case of a non-permitted use of your material -- lifting photos without permission and then cropping out the watermark is a pretty brazen offense.

My advice is skip the email and get on the phone with the editor in question to discuss the matter personally. Say you'd like to be paid fairly for the photos. The newspaper's employees won't work for free, so why should you?

If that's met with pushback, I would then publicly shame the newspaper by posting your account (along with the response you receive from the editor, if any) on your Facebook page, making sure to tag the newspaper's Facebook page in the process.

You could also make a threat of legal action via small claims court, but that might require more time and/or effort than it's worth.

Jul 17, 2017 at 07:21 PM

Previous versions of mdude85's message #14109964 « Newspaper Used 4-6 of my images without my permission - thoughts? »