Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of PureMichigan's message #14107784 « Best Advice You've Received as a Sports Photgrpaher »

PureMichigan
Upload & Sell: On
Best Advice You've Received as a Sports Photgrpaher

3) Don't shoot for free (yes, I have made exceptions)
-----
I fully agree with this and I recently heard an interesting take on the "never work for free" concept. It's ok to work for for no pay on occasion -- but be darn sure in those instances that you are working for "value." That means you see a clear path from your short-term investment to a viable return on that investment at a later date.

We do this all the time in our personal lives and those who have non-photography day jobs do it consciously and unconsciously at work all the time. I don't know why it would be any different with photography.

Most here know that selling action sports shot at the high school level is at best a pretty lousy business proposition. In most cases it's a money loser when you do the honest math. But it's also one of the best ways possible to drive your senior portrait and family photo businesses. I'd argue that the $500 you lose shooting sports (for free/at a loss) is money well spent on marketing.

Jul 15, 2017 at 10:51 PM

Previous versions of PureMichigan's message #14107784 « Best Advice You've Received as a Sports Photgrpaher »