Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of sjms's message #14095354 « A once over of the Jobu DMG-HD4 (aka: Heavy Duty Mk IV Gimbal) »

sjms
Upload & Sell: On
A lookover of the Jobu DMG-HD4 (aka: Heavy Duty Mk IV Gimbal)

last week I decided to purchase the Jobu Heavy Duty MK IV Gimbal assy. direct purchased it from Jobu saving a few duckets having them send it south to me from Canada to the US.

1- it came very quick even with the upcoming holidays. thank you for that.
2- total weight: 2lb2oz (it is very light for what it is)
3- relatively compact
4- easy adjustment for balance
5- quality materials
6- rigid

knobs-
- including the base attachment 5 there are of them.
- the base attachment is alloy hand screw with a drilled hole in the side for a rod or allen key to be used to tighten/loosen as needed. it went on smoothly on my RRS TVC24 w/leveling base. didn't seem to need the extra effort. may need it getting off later. vertical axis rotation smooth.
- base rotation lock knob is rubberized with excellent grip and locking. it is not captive though there is a bit of thread to go through before it can depart.
- horizontal pivot knob is the same type rubberized knob this sets lock and drag. it is captive to the mechanism "cartridge". once lens is mounted horizontal axis operation is smooth in operation.
- platform plate height adjustment via captive polymer curved "wing" nut. not my favorite material in this situation. will possibly look into other options for this location.
- clamp assy locking screw on platform machined alloy. average. you all know my preferences but this works just fine

other included items:
- camo lined bag for travel/storage
- "universal" Surefoot SF-NXK kit lens plate. baseline plate with polymer friction pad.
- Allen wrenches
- 1/4-3/8 thread adapter

accessories available that can help:
the "hockey puck" counterweight for lighter camera bodies with big lenses. for when you run out of rail.

minor items- the milled/bored out slot for the "bearing cartridge" could be done a little better considering the accuracy of CNC machine tooling today. "bearing cartridge" designed to be NOT user accessible hence NOT user replaceable.

equipment used on the gimbal for reference: Sigma 120-300/2.8 S w/ and w/o 1.4xTC and a D500 body no grip adapter plate by RRS.

in comparison to tools I've used:
Wimberley Sidekick- the definitely a step or two above in use and worth the price and weight.
RRS PG-02 FG: Full Gimbal Head- the DMG is good at its build/price/weight no doubt about it. the RRS is ~2x the price and over 2x the weight, but in reality not on the same plane of existence.

Jul 08, 2017 at 03:37 PM
sjms

last week I decided to purchase the Jobu Heavy Duty MK IV Gimbal assy. direct purchased it from Jobu saving a few duckets having them send it south to me from Canada to the US.

3- relatively compact
5- quality materials
6- rigid

knobs-
- the base attachment is alloy hand screw with a drilled hole in the side for a rod or allen key to be used to tighten/loosen as needed. it went on smoothly on my RRS TVC24 w/leveling base. didn't seem to need the extra effort. may need it getting off later. vertical axis rotation smooth.
- base rotation lock knob is rubberized with excellent grip and locking. it is not captive though there is a bit of thread to go through before it can depart.
- horizontal pivot knob is the same type rubberized knob this sets lock and drag. it is captive to the mechanism "cartridge". once lens is mounted horizontal axis operation is smooth in operation.
- platform plate height adjustment via captive polymer curved "wing" nut. not my favorite material in this situation. will possibly look into other options for this location.
- clamp assy locking screw on platform machined alloy. average. you all know my preferences but this works just fine

other included items:
- "universal" Surefoot SF-NXK kit lens plate. baseline plate with polymer friction pad.
- Allen wrenches
- 1/4-3/8 thread adapter

the "hockey puck" counterweight for lighter camera bodies with big lenses. for when you run out of rail.

minor items- the milled out slot for the "bearing cartridge" could be done a little better considering the accuracy of CNC machine tooling today. "bearing cartridge" designed to be not user accessible hence not user replaceable.

equipment used on the gimbal for reference: Sigma 120-300/2.8 S w/ and w/o 1.4xTC and a D500 body no grip adapter plate by RRS.

Wimberley Sidekick- the definitely a step or two above in use and worth the price and weight.
RRS PG-02 FG: Full Gimbal Head- the DMG is good at its build/price/weight no doubt about it. the RRS is ~2x the price and over 2x the weight, but in reality not on the same plane of existence.

Jul 08, 2017 at 03:35 PM
sjms

3- relatively compact
5- quality materials
6- rigid

knobs-
- horizontal pivot knob is the same type rubberized knob this sets lock and drag. it is captive to the mechanism "cartridge". once lens is mounted horizontal axis operation is smooth.

other included items:
- Allen wrenches
- 1/4-3/8 thread adapter

minor items- the milled out slot for the "bearing cartridge" could be done a little better considering the accuracy of CNC machine tooling today. "bearing cartridge" designed to be not user accessible hence not user replaceable.

Jul 07, 2017 at 09:09 PM
sjms
lookover of the Jobu DMG-HD4 (aka: Heavy Duty Mk IV Gimbal)

3- relatively compact
5- quality materials
6- rigid

knobs-
- horizontal pivot knob is the same type rubberized knob this sets lock and drag. it is captive to the mechanism "cartridge". once lens is mounted horizontal axis operation is smooth.

other included items:
- Allen wrenches
- 1/4-3/8 thread adapter

Jul 05, 2017 at 01:33 PM
sjms

3- relatively compact
5- quality materials
6- rigid

knobs-

other included items:
- Allen wrenches
- 1/4-3/8 thread adapter

minor items- the milled out slot for the "bearing cartridge" could be done a little better considering the accuracy of CNC machine tooling today. "bearing cartridge" designed to be not user accessible

Jul 05, 2017 at 01:32 PM
sjms

3- relatively compact
5- quality materials
6- rigid

knobs-

other included items:
- Allen wrenches
- 1/4-3/8 thread adapter

thr "hockey puck" counterweight for lighter camera bodies with big lenses. when you run out of rail.

minor items- the milled out slot for the "cartridge could be done a little better considering the accuracy of machine tooling today.

equipment used on the gimbal for reference: Sigma 120-300/2.8 w and w/o 1.4xTC and a D500 body no grip adapter plate by RRS.

in comparison to tools I've used (usage makes the rule for me):
RRS PG-02 FG: Full Gimbal Head- the DMG is good at its build/price/weight no doubt about it. the RRS is 2x the price and over 2x the weight, but in reality not on the same plane of existence.

Jul 05, 2017 at 01:24 PM
sjms

3- relatively compact
5- quality materials
6- rigid

knobs-

other included items:
- Allen wrenches
- 1/4-3/8 thread adapter

thr "hockey puck" counterweight for lighter camera bodies with big lenses. when you run out of rail.

minor items- the milled out slot for the "cartridge could be done a little better considering the accuracy of machine tooling today.

equipment used on the gimbal for reference: Sigma 120-300/2.8 w and w/o 1.4xTC and a D500 body no grip adapter plate by RRS.

Wimberley Sidekick- definitely a step or two above in use and worth the price and weight.
RRS PG-02 FG: Full Gimbal Head- its good at its build/price/weight no doubt about it. RRS 2x the price and over 2x the weight, but in reality not on the same plane of existence.

Jul 05, 2017 at 01:21 PM
sjms

3- relatively compact
5- quality materials
6- rigid

knobs-

other included items:
- Allen wrenches
- 1/4-3/8 thread adapter

Jul 04, 2017 at 11:05 PM

Previous versions of sjms's message #14095354 « A once over of the Jobu DMG-HD4 (aka: Heavy Duty Mk IV Gimbal) »