Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of YneGrwr's message #14083636 « Need Ideas for Napa/Anderson Valley Area and Quick Road Trip from Napa to Las Vegas »

YneGrwr
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Need Ideas for Napa/Anderson Valley Area and Quick Road T...

Josh,
I agree with dalite on his recommendations. Unless absolutely necessary I would avoid Yosemite at this time of year due to the massive number of people there. The only difference between Yosemite and Manhattan in the summer is what the canyons are made of.

Armstrong Redwood State Park near the town of Guerneville is a nice quick stop during the Bodega/Jenner/Guerneville loop. It is a small grove of redwoods with no view other than straight up. Not a sunrise /sunset location.

Pt Reyes is 2 hr drive from Calistoga and affords good wildlife viewing most of the time. And there is some landscape possibilities also. Plan on all day.

Another alternative full day trip that has lots of redwood and seascape opportunities is follow Hwy 128 north from Calistoga through the wine regions of Knights Valley & Alexander Valley, to the town of Cloverdale. Continue on hwy 128 west all the way to the coast. You will pass Hendy Woods but it is a small grove. Instead continue west to Navarro where the redwood show really begins. There are several pull outs on the road to get up close and personal and hug many trees. When you reach the coast and Hwy 1 turn south and then right into Navarro State Beach for a short stop. From there continue south on hwy 1 all the way down to Jenner. The coastline here is almost as good as Big Sur. Just past Jenner turn east on hwy 116 to Guerneville, Santa Rosa and eventually back to Calistoga.
Google Maps (https://goo.gl/maps/5Hgr91BFNfm) shows this trip as 200 miles and 5 hours drive. Realistically plan on 10 to 12 hrs to make some stops and enjoy it. Big day so start early, but this trip will give you a great taste of NorCal.
Good luck and enjoy your time here. You can PM me for additional info.

Frank

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:28 PM

Previous versions of YneGrwr's message #14083636 « Need Ideas for Napa/Anderson Valley Area and Quick Road Trip from Napa to Las Vegas »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.