Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of ilkka_nissila's message #14081908 « UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue »

ilkka_nissila
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

D5's 9-point dynamic has allowed me to get 99% of shots in focus with the 105/1.4 at f/1.4 of moving samba dancers in daylight. Compare with typical rate of about 50-70% in focus with the same lens using the D810 in single point mode. 9-point dynamic on the D810 would not allow me to specify the focus on the eye without being attracted by the colourful and contrasty details of the outfit. In fact even single point in the D810 has such a large receptive field that focus on the face is difficult to achieve when the dancers move. Linear points are more likely to focus on the decorations rather than facial detail and it can be hard to hold the primary point on the eye without ever slipping to the forehead. Of course in a tight close-up it would be possible to specify focus on a more specific area of the face but I want to show more of the outfit and shoot a full body or 2/3 body vertical. The D5's 9-point dynamic has an uncanny ability to nail the focus on the eye in this situation.

Jun 22, 2017 at 09:34 AM

Previous versions of ilkka_nissila's message #14081908 « UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.