Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Littleguy's message #14080961 « A real game changer for sports photography: RED 8K video camera? »

Littleguy
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: A real game changer for sports photography: RED 8K video camera?

BINGO - any film student will tell you that the OP is out to lunch.

Any video that you want to have that cinematic look will have a shutter speed that doubles your frame rate to get motion blur - its that motion blur that creates the cinematic look plus colour grading.

A 24 fps video requires a shutter speed of 1/48 - how do you think your still sports shot will look when shot at 1/48 of a second?

You can crack up the shutter speed to 1/120 but you get some interesting effects. Watch Private Ryan to see how it looks.
https://cinemashock.org/2012/07/30/45-degree-shutter-in-saving-private-ryan/

But even at 1/120 - for a sports still shooter - that's still not fast enough.

This is the reason why still shooters will not be stripping stills from a sports video shoot - unless the video shoot's only purpose was for still images and you set the shutter according because it will be pretty useless as a video - it will look very odd as a video. I can see it being used for slow motion shots but are you going to produce a whole video of just slow motion shots?

Sure for a portrait session - you can probably get away with shooting at 1/60 or maybe 1/120 but for action sports?

Mikehit wrote:
I don't shoot much video, but one thing I have learned is that if you shoot at 1/2000 sec to capture action, it creates poor video. If you shoot good video by slowing down the shutter speed to give some sort of blurring in the frame you get no sharp action shots. So if the action is slow enough to take a frame grab, then if you are having problems catching the peak action should you really be spending this much on a camera....?

I guess if you shoot at 500 frames a second or whatever is needed you will over come this but then you have 30seconds at 500 frames a second....

Jun 21, 2017 at 12:46 PM
Littleguy
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: A real game changer for sports photography: RED 8K video camera?

BINGO - any film student will tell you that the OP is out to lunch.

Any video that you want to have that cinematic look will have a shutter speed that doubles your frame rate to get motion blur - its that motion blur that creates the cinematic look plus colour grading.

A 24 fps video requires a shutter speed of 1/48 - how do you think your still sports shot will look when shot at 1/48 of a second?

You can crack up the shutter speed to 1/120 but you get some interesting effects. Watch Private Ryan to see how it looks.
https://cinemashock.org/2012/07/30/45-degree-shutter-in-saving-private-ryan/

But even at 1/120 - for a sports still shooter - that's still not fast enough.

This is the reason why still shooters will not be stripping stills from a video shoot - unless the video shoot's only purpose was for still images and you set the shutter according because it will be pretty useless as a video - it will look very odd as a video.

Mikehit wrote:
I don't shoot much video, but one thing I have learned is that if you shoot at 1/2000 sec to capture action, it creates poor video. If you shoot good video by slowing down the shutter speed to give some sort of blurring in the frame you get no sharp action shots. So if the action is slow enough to take a frame grab, then if you are having problems catching the peak action should you really be spending this much on a camera....?

I guess if you shoot at 500 frames a second or whatever is needed you will over come this but then you have 30seconds at 500 frames a second....

Jun 21, 2017 at 12:34 PM

Previous versions of Littleguy's message #14080961 « A real game changer for sports photography: RED 8K video camera? »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.