Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of _manny_'s message #14080733 « CR: Zeiss 1.4/35 Milvus? [ Now in Zeiss.com ] »

_manny_
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: CR: Zeiss 1.4/35 Milvus? [ Now in Zeiss.com ]

bushwacker wrote:

they might revive the contax 1.4/35 in the Otus form.

Remember Lloyd chambers got the pre production unit... But I am sure zeiss and him already got the agreement to publish the results which means the pre production he got is the same configuration as the for sale/production units.

I suppose we are so spoilt for choice these days that I must find silly things to complain about! But still I am a bit confused really about the division of Milvus and Otus and this looks to be another Milvus lens chasing optical "perfection" perhaps just slightly less extremely than the Otus. I think they could have kept the more "artistic" lenses in the Milvus line.

For example I would love to see an updated version of the Contax and ZE 28/2. It's a lens that always does badly in tests due to field curvature but that very characteristic gives it a very special rendering. It clearly is ready for an update to cope with newer resolutions and I understand why the Otus lens was an all new design but I would buy a Milvus 28/2 that kept the old optical formula and simply brought it up to current standards for resolution and contrast/color etc.

Really I also think we probably all have to wait and see some more thorough testing - from two different sample sets, one of them shot largely at f/2+ and the other a limited set from Lloyd, no concrete conclusions can be drawn. I am sure you're right though that the lens they gave him will be essentially the same as the one finally sold in shops.

Jun 21, 2017 at 08:34 AM
_manny_
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: CR: Zeiss 1.4/35 Milvus? [ Now in Zeiss.com ]

bushwacker wrote:

they might revive the contax 1.4/35 in the Otus form.

Remember Lloyd chambers got the pre production unit... But I am sure zeiss and him already got the agreement to publish the results which means the pre production he got is the same configuration as the for sale/production units.

I suppose we are so spoilt for choice these days that we must find silly things to complain about! But still I am a bit confused really about the division of Milvus and Otus and this looks to be another Milvus lens chasing optical "perfection" perhaps just slightly less extremely than the Otus. I think they could have kept the more "artistic" lenses in the Milvus line.

For example I would love to see an updated version of the Contax and ZE 28/2. It's a lens that always does badly in tests due to field curvature but that very characteristic gives it a very special rendering. It clearly is ready for an update to cope with newer resolutions and I understand why the Otus lens was an all new design but I would buy a Milvus 28/2 that kept the old optical formula and simply brought it up to current standards for resolution and contrast/color etc.

Really I also think we probably all have to wait and see some more thorough testing - from two different sample sets, one of them shot largely at f/2+ and the other a limited set from Lloyd, no concrete conclusions can be drawn. I am sure you're right though that the lens they gave him will be essentially the same as the one finally sold in shops.

Jun 21, 2017 at 08:26 AM

Previous versions of _manny_'s message #14080733 « CR: Zeiss 1.4/35 Milvus? [ Now in Zeiss.com ] »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.