Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of rbf_'s message #14070004 « New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure »

rbf_
Upload & Sell: On
New iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

ELinder wrote:
PrecisionPhoto wrote:
I've been using a MacBook Pro 2010 for 7 years and I'm only willing to buy a mint 2012 MacBook Pro soon
After that I'm not sure what I'll do with Apple making it harder for photographers

How is Apple making it harder for photographers? Well, other than killing Aperture, which I loved before being forced to Lightroom.

I think most of the criticism about these all in one iMacs and forthcoming iMac Pro is unjustified. The people on this forum are not the average buyer. Most people buy a computer and never touch any of its hardware until they buy a new system years later. Same for people who buy a DSLR and kit lens and never change the lens. Again, we here are on the forum are the minority.

Erich

You may be right about that. I tend to not tinker too much with my laptops and just refresh them when they're tired but I've traditionally built my own desktops or more recently used Mac Pro's and then kept video and storage system up to date with newer devices to keep the system performing well for many years. Just recently stopped using a 2008 actually when my monitor finally died on me so my criticism comes from a different point of view. I've been a bit skeptical of the iMac's myself although they are really slick but the iMac Pro is the first I've actually wanted. But of course then I compare it to what I expect from a Mac Pro (non 2013) So maybe a bit harsh.

In fact I think I'm coming to the opinion that an iMac, 4/5k external display and a macbook make a pretty compelling 'computing kit', particularly for a photographer/videographer/content creator. All wide gamut P3 displays on newer models, thunderbolt expandability, portable + desktop, 3 displays. With the base models you could get a kit like this for under $4k and with the iMac Pro + newer macbook pro's you can scale up the performance to workstation class.

Jun 11, 2017 at 11:42 AM

Previous versions of rbf_'s message #14070004 « New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.