Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of rbf_'s message #14066030 « New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure »

rbf_
Upload & Sell: Off
New iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

speedmaster20d wrote:
7890X is an extreme CPU I am not sure if it supports ECC RAM? I thought iMac was Xeon.

I think you might have missed the fact that the starting price for iMac pros is 5K. That comes with the 8 core and probably just a 1 TB SSD and less GDDR memory/lower GPU. Once you spec it up it will be more like 8-10K given how much apple marks up the SSD's and video memory. I remember the loaded mac pro was like 14K back in 2013.

So it is still significantly more expensive than the build-your-own PC. But I do agree Apple has an excellent stable OS, no virus/malware, solid tech support etc. which you are not going to get with microsoft Windows and build your own PC so it's hard to put a value on these aspects.

Also not all code can be made parallel, 8+ core CPU's have been there for a while now. For some applications the nature of the problem allows for great parallelism but for RAW processing I doubt we will see improvement for more than 4-6 cores. At least it is nice to have an option of a high clock 4-6 core high-end desktop CPU for those who don't want the Xeons. The Xeon or usually used for IT infrastructure that require ECC, extreme stability for 24-7 services, data centers or for running large scale scientific calculations in a server farm. Not the best choice for photo and video pro's.

BTW, a good monitor that is made for critical color production/imaging application is about 3K (like the 4K NEC that I use) and usually lasts for a very long time, so to attach the components to a monitor for a pro machine is really stupid IMO. You have to throw out the whole thing when it becomes obsolete.

They're claiming it's a Xeon in the iMac Pro which would be consistent with their Mac Pro's. The ECC memory in my Mac Pro's has always run extremely hot and I'm now wondering if that's the reason for the non upgradeable RAM. With the Xeon and all that hardware packed into the iMac they have a cooling problem. I know they've doubled up on the fans and beefed up the cooling but they're probably right up against the wall. I guess it will be a good but pricey option for those who absolutely need the performance right now after the long gap with no new Mac Pro.

I agree with you that having a hyper-converged workstation doesn't make sense but it doesn't make sense for the desktop class either and they sell like hotcakes. It's a very slick machine and I've been tempted by it many times but have managed to resist. Given that I think if they made an iMac Pro that had upgradeable memory that they could have a machine that really sells even if they needed a bit of a form factor change. I think the RAM limitation could help me resist it again even though it will likely be hard at times

There's also been a 18 core Core-X i9 announced and I think that's one mentioned above. That model would not use ECC RAM but has just been announced. Maybe too late for iMac Pro? The standard iMac's are Core i7's...

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/250052-intel-announces-new-core-x-series-including-18-core-i9-cpu

I'm sticking with my macbook pro to eGPU to display plan until the Mac Pro is announced and see how this all plays out. Btw there is an open source raw editor call RawTherapee that recently written from scratch to exploit parallelism it will be interesting to see how it performs on one of these high core count cpu's.

Jun 08, 2017 at 01:42 AM
rbf_

speedmaster20d wrote:
7890X is an extreme CPU I am not sure if it supports ECC RAM? I thought iMac was Xeon.

I think you might have missed the fact that the starting price for iMac pros is 5K. That comes with the 8 core and probably just a 1 TB SSD and less GDDR memory/lower GPU. Once you spec it up it will be more like 8-10K given how much apple marks up the SSD's and video memory. I remember the loaded mac pro was like 14K back in 2013.

So it is still significantly more expensive than the build-your-own PC. But I do agree Apple has an excellent stable OS, no virus/malware, solid tech support etc. which you are not going to get with microsoft Windows and build your own PC so it's hard to put a value on these aspects.

Also not all code can be made parallel, 8+ core CPU's have been there for a while now. For some applications the nature of the problem allows for great parallelism but for RAW processing I doubt we will see improvement for more than 4-6 cores. At least it is nice to have an option of a high clock 4-6 core high-end desktop CPU for those who don't want the Xeons. The Xeon or usually used for IT infrastructure that require ECC, extreme stability for 24-7 services, data centers or for running large scale scientific calculations in a server farm. Not the best choice for photo and video pro's.

BTW, a good monitor that is made for critical color production/imaging application is about 3K (like the 4K NEC that I use) and usually lasts for a very long time, so to attach the components to a monitor for a pro machine is really stupid IMO. You have to throw out the whole thing when it becomes obsolete.

They're claiming it's a Xeon in the iMac Pro which would be consistent with their Mac Pro's. The ECC memory in my Mac Pro's has always run extremely hot and I'm now wondering if that's the reason for the non upgradeable RAM. With the Xeon and all that hardware packed into the iMac they have a cooling problem. I know they've doubled up on the fans and beefed up the cooling but they're probably right up against the wall. I guess it will be a good but pricey option for those who absolutely need the performance right now after the long gap with no new Mac Pro.

I agree with you that having a hyper-converged workstation doesn't make sense but it doesn't make sense for the desktop class either and they sell like hotcakes. It's a very slick machine and I've been tempted by it many times but have managed to resist. Given that I think if they made an iMac Pro that was upgradeable (at least memory but better disk too) that they could have a machine that really sells even if they needed a bit of a form factor change. I think the RAM limitation could help me resist it again even though it will likely be hard at times

There's also been a 18 core Core-X i9 announced and I think that's one mentioned above. That model would not use ECC RAM but has just been announced. Maybe too late for iMac Pro? The standard iMac's are Core i7's...

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/250052-intel-announces-new-core-x-series-including-18-core-i9-cpu

I'm sticking with my macbook pro to eGPU to display plan until the Mac Pro is announced and see how this all plays out. Btw there is an open source raw editor call RawTherapee that recently written from scratch to exploit parallelism it will be interesting to see how it performs on one of these high core count cpu's.

Jun 08, 2017 at 01:42 AM
rbf_

speedmaster20d wrote:

I agree with you that having a hyper-converged workstation doesn't make sense but it doesn't make sense for the desktop class either and they sell like hotcakes. It's a very slick machine machine and I've been tempted by it many times but have managed to resist. Given that I think if they made an iMac Pro that was upgradeable (at least memory but better disk too) that they could have a machine that really sells even if they needed a bit of a form factor change. I think the RAM limitation could help me resist it again even though it will likely be hard at times

Jun 08, 2017 at 01:32 AM
rbf_

speedmaster20d wrote:

I agree with you that having a hyper-converged workstation doesn't make sense but it doesn't make sense for the desktop class either and they sell like hotcakes. It's a very slick machine machine and I've been tempted by it many times but have managed to resist. Given that I think if they made an iMac Pro that was upgradeable (at least memory but better disk too) that they could have a machine that really sells even if they needed a bit of a form factor change. I think the RAM limitation could help me resist it again even though it will likely be hard at times

There's also been a 18 core Core-X i9 announced and I think that's one mentioned above. That model would not use ECC RAM but has just been announced. Maybe too late for iMac Pro?

Jun 08, 2017 at 01:25 AM

Previous versions of rbf_'s message #14066030 « New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure »