Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of speedmaster20d's message #14065754 « New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure »

speedmaster20d
Upload & Sell: On
Re: New iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enc...

7890X is an extreme CPU I am not sure if it supports ECC RAM? I thought iMac was Xeon.

I think you might have missed the fact that the starting price for iMac pros is 5K. That comes with the 8 core and probably just a 1 TB SSD and less GDDR memory/lower GPU. Once you spec it up it will be more like 8-10K given how much apple marks up the SSD's and video memory. I remember the loaded mac pro was like 14K back in 2013.

So it is still significantly more expensive than the build-your-own PC. But I do agree Apple has an excellent stable OS, no virus/malware, solid tech support etc. which you are not going to get with microsoft Windows and build your own PC so it's hard to put a value on these aspects.

Also not all code can be made parallel, 8+ core CPU's have been there for a while now. For some applications the nature of the problem allows for great parallelism but for RAW processing I doubt we will see improvement for more than 4-6 cores. At least it is nice to have an option of a high clock 4-6 core high-end desktop CPU for those who don't want the Xeons. The Xeon or usually used for IT infrastructure that require ECC, extreme stability for 24-7 services, data centers or for running large scale scientific calculations in a server farm. Not the best choice for photo and video pro's.

BTW, a good monitor that is made for critical color production/imaging application is about 3K (like the 4K NEC that I use) and usually lasts for a very long time, so to attach the components to a monitor for a pro machine is really stupid IMO. You have to throw out the whole thing when it becomes obsolete.

Jun 07, 2017 at 05:56 PM
speedmaster20d
Upload & Sell: On
Re: New iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enc...

7890X is an extreme CPU I am not sure if it supports ECC RAM? I thought iMac was Xeon.

I think you might have missed the fact that the starting price for iMac pros is 5K. That comes with the 8 core and probably just a 1 TB SSD and less GDDR memory/lower GPU. Once you spec it up it will be more like 8-10K given how much apple marks up the SSD's and video memory. I remember the loaded mac pro was like 14K back in 2013.

So it is still significantly more expensive as the build your own PC. But I do agree Apple has an excellent stable OS, no virus/malware, solid tech support etc. which you are not going to get with microsoft Windows and build your own PC so it's hard to put a value on these aspects.

Also not all code can be made parallel, 8+ cores CPU's have been there for a while now. For some applications the nature of the problem allows for great parallelism but for RAW processing I doubt we will see improvement for more than 4-6 cores.

BTW, a good monitor that is made for critical color production/imaging application is about 3K (like the NEC that I use) and usually lasts for a very long time, so to attach the components to a monitor for a pro machine is really stupid IMO. You have to throw out the whole thing when it becomes obsolete.

Jun 07, 2017 at 03:50 PM

Previous versions of speedmaster20d's message #14065754 « New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.