Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of rbf_'s message #14065033 « New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure »

rbf_
Upload & Sell: On
New iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

Oscarsmadness wrote:
The iMac Pro is geared toward video and VR content creators, not necessarily LR wizards, so it's no surprise that the lot of you don't like it. I personally think it's overkill for my purposes (I'm a LR wizard-wannabe). It's still more powerful than what I'm using now, so if I had oodles of money I would buy one and be very happy. If I was to do pro 3D rendering, I think I would appreciate it far more.

I share your frustrations regarding upgradability. Apple makes it unnecessarily difficult and expensive. Apple says upgrades and expansion should be done through the Thunderbolt interfaces, which hasn't been a half-tasty solution for anyone so far. They had that attitude toward the trashcan, and I don't think that they have learned from that. What could work to increase Thunderbolt adoption is USB-C. USB-C and Thunderbolt now share the same plugs. Regardless I still agree that a pro computer should be user-serviceable no questions asked.

I'd love to get a MBP, one that is used or refurb from before this Touch Bar nonsense rolled out.

I love Thunderbolt and have adopted it extensively but on a workstation class machine you need to be able to upgrade the RAM, SSD density is set to take a quantum jump in the next few years too they're talking 16TB & 32TB 2.5 drives. Just irresponsible to not take that into account on a otherwise workstation class machine imo. I want to buy it!

Jun 07, 2017 at 12:15 AM

Previous versions of rbf_'s message #14065033 « New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.