Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of rbf_'s message #14064886 « New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure »

rbf_
Upload & Sell: On
New iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

speedmaster20d wrote:
rbf_ wrote:
speedmaster20d wrote:
My desk isn't large enough for 2 huge monitors so it would be awkward to put the iMac under the desk in order to use my screen. I have never used an eGPU not sure if it will work with Nvidia GTX or Tesla series, still needs the driver, and is not going to be as fast native PCI-E 3.0 X16 that you get on a typical motherboard, plus it's a bit awkward to have yet another box with fan and all that, why would one want to distribute all the components around your workstation.

I saw this article though which hints they are still working on a real Mac pro based on a modular system for 2018, if that is true then I wonder who will even bother buying the iMac "pro". probably not a wise investment.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/mac/new-mac-pro-2018-latest-rumours-release-date-uk-price-features-specs-3536364/

It really sounds like you are better off waiting the new Mac Pro or considering the OSX->Windows switch if you cannot wait. I have heard that they are redesigning the Mac Pro as I know they've had a lot of negative feedback about the lack of upgradeability and certainly the sales haven't been good from what I've heard. I do see the iMac Pro as a positive step for them as a more serious machine that's current and in their lineup. The new macbook pros are very nice as well with 4 TB3 ports but I've got a 2014 that's still holding it's own. Hopefully they will design a standard, upgradeable, expandable workstation like the old 'cheese-grater' Mac Pro's for people who need that flexibility and extendability. It's really a shame this "non upgradability" mentality overtook decision makers as I know it has hurt their customers as well as the company reputation itself.

You are right, maybe I am also a bit frustrated with Apple recently. Two months ago I bought the late 2016 MBP (15.4"), I got the mid-tier (2.7GHz with 455 2GB GPU). The first two laptops had mechanical problems (keyboard and overheating). I had to exchange it twice. It now works and I have been using it on a few jobs, overall it doesn't improve much on its predecessor as a tool for a working professional. It's lighter, has a better screen and larger touch pad, and I do like the keyboard better but it's not any faster and even a bit slower for crunching 4K video than my old one (my old MBP had Nvidia). The battery life is about 30%-35% shorter because of the smaller battery that made the laptop thinner. It also runs warmer than the old machine most likely because of the smaller space. I don't have SD card slot anymore and the USB dongles are annoying. Apple need to realize some people don't just want a thin piece of modern art, they want horse power and functionality first...any ways, if I were to do it again I'd probably stick with the old one for what I do. Maybe I am wrong but I sense they have lost direction after Jobs. I totally agree the previous generation of MBP's were stellar and better than anything else on the market at the time they came out. I switched from Windows to Mac primarily because the laptops were so much better at that time.

you are right my bad the entry level is 8-cores. Not all code can be made more parallel though the 6 and 8 core CPU's have been around for a while now but PS (even the latest) cannot really use more than 4 this site has a nice comparison.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CC-Multi-Core-Performance-625/

anyways, I wish they do make a Mac Pro in near future before I get a higher MP camera

I hear what you're saying about the recent model macbook pro I really love the machine although I had real reservations about the proprietary SSD interface and soldered ram. I got the crystalwell equipped version not expecting much for graphics performance and it really blew me away at how performant it was in fact it's handled every task I've thrown at it so far even ones I didn't expect it too I think it is my favorite computer ever, just a swiss army knife I'm also a bit perplexed by the desire to continually shrink the size of the computer for no useful reason and to the detriment of desired functionality, we already have smaller models it really serves no purpose whatsoever to an end user. In fact it's increasingly annoying to many. I was really hoping the form factor would stay the same and we would get better battery life with more efficient chips, maybe 15+ hours and a perf boost. I was hoping they would switch the m.2 SSD interface since off the shelf parts have caught up in performance and cost half as much as Apple proprietary SSD's. I was also hoping for a new model with the "crystalwell" EDRAM module since it was so power efficient and nearly as good as a discrete GPU. They did deliver on the thunderbolt 3 ports however as four of them really gives you the I/O to have a laptop that can handle desktop like tasks via peripherals. All said and done I like the new macbook pro but their continuing fascination of shrinking expensive "work computers" to the detriment of functionality and performance is really troubling to me. I'll be picking up a new macbook pro laptop sometime soon I'll probably get the OWC storage extension that makes it thicker, heavier and adds a couple of TB of SSD too

I'm afraid you're going to get more frustrated because I've read the iMac Pro is rumored to *not* have user upgradeable RAM. This bodes badly for the new Mac Pro. This is an a problem for a desktop machine in this price range with *extremely expensive* ECC RAM that for most just *has* to bought later and just *has* to be upgradeable to get your money;s worth out of such and expensive machine. I think they need to ditch a) proprietary SSD interfaces B) non upgradeable & soldered RAM c) non-upgradable storage or someone is going to it for them. I'm afraid they are going to put Apple back where they were in the 90's if they keep this up

Note that this is a machine that would be high on my *want to buy* list with upgradeable RAM, upgradeable SSD (not even M.2 that would be gravy) and not much else, even with just the RAM. I would prioritize the 18 core since parallel hardware is the attraction and get as much storage & RAM as I could afford knowing I would upgrade later. Given their model of having to choose up front the initial cost and lack of later upgradeability will mean this will never make the radar of most.

Jun 08, 2017 at 06:08 PM
rbf_
Upload & Sell: On
New iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

speedmaster20d wrote:
rbf_ wrote:
speedmaster20d wrote:
My desk isn't large enough for 2 huge monitors so it would be awkward to put the iMac under the desk in order to use my screen. I have never used an eGPU not sure if it will work with Nvidia GTX or Tesla series, still needs the driver, and is not going to be as fast native PCI-E 3.0 X16 that you get on a typical motherboard, plus it's a bit awkward to have yet another box with fan and all that, why would one want to distribute all the components around your workstation.

I saw this article though which hints they are still working on a real Mac pro based on a modular system for 2018, if that is true then I wonder who will even bother buying the iMac "pro". probably not a wise investment.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/mac/new-mac-pro-2018-latest-rumours-release-date-uk-price-features-specs-3536364/

It really sounds like you are better off waiting the new Mac Pro or considering the OSX->Windows switch if you cannot wait. I have heard that they are redesigning the Mac Pro as I know they've had a lot of negative feedback about the lack of upgradeability and certainly the sales haven't been good from what I've heard. I do see the iMac Pro as a positive step for them as a more serious machine that's current and in their lineup. The new macbook pros are very nice as well with 4 TB3 ports but I've got a 2014 that's still holding it's own. Hopefully they will design a standard, upgradeable, expandable workstation like the old 'cheese-grater' Mac Pro's for people who need that flexibility and extendability. It's really a shame this "non upgradability" mentality overtook decision makers as I know it has hurt their customers as well as the company reputation itself.

You are right, maybe I am also a bit frustrated with Apple recently. Two months ago I bought the late 2016 MBP (15.4"), I got the mid-tier (2.7GHz with 455 2GB GPU). The first two laptops had mechanical problems (keyboard and overheating). I had to exchange it twice. It now works and I have been using it on a few jobs, overall it doesn't improve much on its predecessor as a tool for a working professional. It's lighter, has a better screen and larger touch pad, and I do like the keyboard better but it's not any faster and even a bit slower for crunching 4K video than my old one (my old MBP had Nvidia). The battery life is about 30%-35% shorter because of the smaller battery that made the laptop thinner. It also runs warmer than the old machine most likely because of the smaller space. I don't have SD card slot anymore and the USB dongles are annoying. Apple need to realize some people don't just want a thin piece of modern art, they want horse power and functionality first...any ways, if I were to do it again I'd probably stick with the old one for what I do. Maybe I am wrong but I sense they have lost direction after Jobs. I totally agree the previous generation of MBP's were stellar and better than anything else on the market at the time they came out. I switched from Windows to Mac primarily because the laptops were so much better at that time.

you are right my bad the entry level is 8-cores. Not all code can be made more parallel though the 6 and 8 core CPU's have been around for a while now but PS (even the latest) cannot really use more than 4 this site has a nice comparison.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CC-Multi-Core-Performance-625/

anyways, I wish they do make a Mac Pro in near future before I get a higher MP camera

I hear what you're saying about the recent model macbook pro I really love the machine although I had real reservations about the proprietary SSD interface and soldered ram. I got the crystalwell equipped version not expecting much for graphics performance and it really blew me away at how performant it was in fact it's handled every task I've thrown at it so far even ones I didn't expect it too I think it is my favorite computer ever, just a swiss army knife I'm also a bit perplexed by the desire to continually shrink the size of the computer for no useful reason and to the detriment of desired functionality, we already have smaller models it really serves no purpose whatsoever to an end user. In fact it's increasingly annoying to many. I was really hoping the form factor would stay the same and we would get better battery life with more efficient chips, maybe 15+ hours and a perf boost. I was hoping they would switch the m.2 SSD interface since off the shelf parts have caught up in performance and cost half as much as Apple proprietary SSD's. I was also hoping for a new model with the "crystalwell" EDRAM module since it was so power efficient and nearly as good as a discrete GPU. They did deliver on the thunderbolt 3 ports however as four of them really gives you the I/O to have a laptop that can handle desktop like tasks via peripherals. All said and done I like the new macbook pro but their continuing fascination of shrinking expensive "work computers" to the detriment of functionality and performance is really troubling to me. I'll be picking up a new macbook pro laptop sometime soon I'll probably get the OWC storage extension that makes it thicker, heavier and adds a couple of TB of SSD too

I'm afraid you're going to get more frustrated because I've read the iMac Pro is rumored to *not* have user upgradeable RAM. This bodes badly for the new Mac Pro. This is an unthinkably horrid gaffe for a desktop machine in this price range with *extremely expensive* ECC RAM that for most just *has* to bought later and just *has* to be upgradeable to get your money;s worth out of such and expensive machine. It shows they haven't learned from the disaster that was the trashcan mac pro at all and are bent on repeating it again. They need to ditch a) proprietary SSD interfaces B) non upgradeable & soldered RAM c) non-upgradable storage or someone is going to it for them. I'm afraid they are going to put Apple back where they were in the 90's if they keep this up

Note that this is a machine that would be high on my *want to buy* list with upgradeable RAM, upgradeable SSD (not even M.2 that would be gravy) and not much else, even with just the RAM. I would prioritize the 18 core since parallel hardware is the attraction and get as much storage & RAM as I could afford knowing I would upgrade later. Given their model of having to choose up front the initial cost and lack of later upgradeability will mean this will never make the radar of most.

Jun 06, 2017 at 09:25 PM

Previous versions of rbf_'s message #14064886 « New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.