Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of rbf_'s message #14063773 « New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure »

rbf_
Upload & Sell: On
Re: New iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

speedmaster20d wrote:
My desk isn't large enough for 2 huge monitors so it would be awkward to put the iMac under the desk in order to use my screen. I have never used an eGPU not sure if it will work with Nvidia GTX or Tesla series, still needs the driver, and is not going to be as fast native PCI-E 3.0 X16 that you get on a typical motherboard, plus it's a bit awkward to have yet another box with fan and all that, why would one want to distribute all the components around your workstation.

I saw this article though which hints they are still working on a real Mac pro based on a modular system for 2018, if that is true then I wonder who will even bother buying the iMac "pro". probably not a wise investment.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/mac/new-mac-pro-2018-latest-rumours-release-date-uk-price-features-specs-3536364/

It really sounds like you are better off waiting the new Mac Pro or considering the OSX->Windows switch if you cannot wait. I have heard that they are redesigning the Mac Pro as I know they've had a lot of negative feedback about the lack of upgradeability and certainly the sales haven't been good from what I've heard. I do see the iMac Pro as a positive step for them as a more serious machine that's current and in their lineup. The new macbook pros are very nice as well with 4 TB3 ports but I've got a 2014 that's still holding it's own. Hopefully they will design a standard, upgradeable, expandable workstation like the old 'cheese-grater' Mac Pro's for people who need that flexibility and extendability. It's really a shame this "non upgradability" mentality overtook decision makers as I know it has hurt their customers as well as the company reputation itself.

Jun 05, 2017 at 11:30 PM

Previous versions of rbf_'s message #14063773 « New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.