Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of James Farrell's message #14048699 « Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left? »

James Farrell
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

PrecisionPhoto wrote:
If no one else chimes in your comments have really helped
Maybe comparing the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II to Fiji Sony and Canon noise issue and not fair to my judgment

A couple of comments ... statement by Wilbus that the Olympus images are "worse" is a poor choice of words and an overstatement in my view. As far as noise is concerned (as a result of higher ISOs), I would like to say that the combination of excellent Oly EM1.2 in body image stabilization combined with some Oly lenses IS plus the smaller form factor of M43 makes handholding at much lower shutter speeds much more do-able, making possible to keep ISO settings lower. I found that comparison to be very real when re-evaluating shots with a Nikon D500 and a lens like a 150-600 (both of which I owned and have recently sold). The ISO numbers got so high as a result of necessary high shutter speeds as to make images almost unusable.

While I have no experience with Panasonic gear, I assume the same thing holds true for Pany as well. My comments are biased towards outdoor shooting at long focal lengths (e.g., wildlife). I acknowledge that portrait photography is another story.

Bottom line for me is the smaller form factor of m43 is making photography fun and enjoyable again. And my large prints look great. And I am shooting RAW only and processing in Capture One Pro 10 which supports Olympus (lens profiles and High-Res) beautifully.

May 24, 2017 at 05:23 PM
James Farrell

PrecisionPhoto wrote:
Maybe comparing the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II to Fiji Sony and Canon noise issue and not fair to my judgment

A couple of comments ... statement by Wilbus that the Olympus images are "worse" is a poor choice of words and an overstatement in my view. As far as noise is concerned (as a result of higher ISOs), I would like to say that the combination of excellent Oly EM1.2 in body image stabilization combined with some Oly lenses IS plus the smaller form factor of M43 makes handholding at much lower shutter speeds much more do-able, making possible to keep ISO settings lower. I found that comparison to be very real when re-evaluating shots with a Nikon D500 and a lens like a 150-600 (both of which I owned and have recently sold). The ISO numbers got so high as a result of necessary high shutter speeds as to make images almost unusable.

While I have no experience with Panasonic gear, I assume the same thing holds true for Pany as well. My comments are biased towards outdoor shooting at long focal lengths (e.g., wildlife). I acknowledge that portrait photography is another story.

Bottom line for me is the smaller form factor of m43 is making photography fun and enjoyable again. And my large prints look great. And I am shooting RAW only and processing in Capture One Pro 10 which supports Olympus (lens profiles and Pro Capture) beautifully.

May 24, 2017 at 05:22 PM
James Farrell

PrecisionPhoto wrote:

Bottom line for me is the smaller form factor of m43 is making photography fun and enjoyable again. And my large prints look great.

May 24, 2017 at 05:12 PM

Previous versions of James Farrell's message #14048699 « Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left? »