Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of melcat's message #14000596 « If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be? »

melcat
Upload & Sell: On
Re: If you were creating a great photo computer, what would i...

I have a souped up quad Xeon Mac Pro (the old cheesegrater style).

I have found 12GB memory to be enough to run Photoshop, Bridge and some other things without paging. I don't usually have more than 4 layers but I do edit in 16 bit and I sometimes handle large TIFF scans. I'd get 16GB, maybe 32GB for future-proofing.

I changed the system drive to an SSD and it was a huge improvement. I don't use and don't believe you need a second SSD for "scratch" if you have enough RAM, as the system should not be paging much. And bear in mind the IDE interface on my machine is the old style with less throughput than the newer ones.

I use a pair of 7200rpm hard drives, mirrored using Apple's software RAID, for photo files. This has less latency and more reliability than a single drive. I don't know whether Windows has this feature, but if it doesn't, I'd consider an external Thunderbolt 3 RAID enclosure for the user files. That means using an Intel and not an AMD CPU.

You want a decent GPU. The 1GB of graphics memory I have is enough for Photoshop on Mac, but I've read Windows doesn't manage it as efficiently so this might not be a good guide.

Apr 15, 2017 at 02:11 PM

Previous versions of melcat's message #14000596 « If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be? »