Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of ecarlino's message #13988822 « Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899) »

ecarlino
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

DavidBM wrote:
GMPhotography wrote:
We need a betting pool , who is going to wait the longest and who is going to fold first.

Guy I folded within seconds of the preorder going up.

I'm going to sell my F2 version.

To be fair to me it's not pure GAS. This is a lens I've wanted for like a decade, but thought I would never see.

A moderately fast, fairly compact, relatively light otherwise no compromise medium tele.

That's where I'm at myself.
I have f/1.4 lenses @ 35 (ZM), 50 (Zony) & 85 (GM).
If I go with this, I'll have Batis at 18, 25 & 135.

I am actually happy to have a 135 that will weigh less than my 85 but, other than the qualities associated with a faster aperture, perfect in every way.

My pre-order went back in earlier today and I'm #2 at a dealer (West Coast) that always gets plenty of units on day one. I still have a month to think about it, but the more I did today, I have 3 fast big lenses and this will be a fantastic bookend. I view this as a faster lens than the f/4 ZM that Fred & Guy have enjoyed - and I can use it at f/5.6 in certain situations but moreso wide-open. Only today am I getting on the 35ZM/TAP bandwagon (and I think I'll be off within a week or two, otherwise, I might even consider the f/4 ZM - but I'm really a native, AF shooter).

I'm getting happier by the hour and frankly the $400 differential between its price and what i was expecting was more of a philosophical b!tch for me. And when you compare vs other 135 alternatives (besides the Samyang) the price isn't even a $400 difference (I don't consider the Canon 135L in the same IQ category).

As you say David, I like this trade-off between aperture vs size/weight while getting a pure optic.

Apr 05, 2017 at 11:09 PM
ecarlino

DavidBM wrote:
GMPhotography wrote:
We need a betting pool , who is going to wait the longest and who is going to fold first.

To be fair to me it's not pure GAS. This is a lens I've wanted for like a decade, but thought I would never see.

A moderately fast, fairly compact, relatively light otherwise no compromise medium tele.

I am actually happy to have a 135 that will weigh less than my 85 but, other than the qualities associated with a faster aperture, perfect in every way.

My pre-order went back in earlier today and I'm #2 at a dealer (West Coast) that always gets plenty of units on day one. I still have a month to think about it, but the more I did today, I have 3 fast big lenses and this will be a fantastic bookend. I view this as a faster lens than the f/4 ZM that Fred & Guy have enjoyed. Only today am I getting on the 35ZM/TAP bandwagon (and I think I'll be off within a week or two, otherwise, I might even consider the f/4 ZM - but I'm really a native, AF shooter).

I'm getting happier by the hour and frankly the $400 differential between its price and what i was expecting was more of a philosophical b!tch for me. And when you compare vs other 135 alternatives (besides the Samyang) the price isn't even a $400 difference (I don't consider the Canon 135L in the same IQ category).

As you say David, I like this trade-off between aperture vs size/weight while getting a pure optic.

Apr 05, 2017 at 11:08 PM
ecarlino

DavidBM wrote:
GMPhotography wrote:

My pre-order went back in earlier today and I'm #2 at a dealer (West Coast) that always gets plenty of units on day one. I still have a month to think about it, but the more I did today, I have 3 fast big lenses and this will be a fantastic bookend. I'm getting happier by the hour and frankly the $400 differential between its price and what i was expecting was more of a philosophical b!tch for me. And when you compare vs other 135 alternatives (besides the Samyang) the price isn't even a $400 difference (I don't consider the Canon 135L in the same IQ category).

Apr 05, 2017 at 10:48 PM
ecarlino

DavidBM wrote:
GMPhotography wrote:

My pre-order went back in earlier today and I'm #2 at a dealer (West Coast) that always gets plenty of units on day 1. I still have a month to think about it, but the more I did today, I have 3 fast big lenses and this will be a fantastic bookend. I'm getting happier by the hour and frankly the $400 differential between its price and what i was expecting was more of a philosophical b!tch for me. And when you compare vs other 135 alternatives (besides the Samyang) the price isn't even a $400 difference (I don't consider the Canon 135L in the same IQ category).

Apr 05, 2017 at 10:47 PM
ecarlino

DavidBM wrote:
GMPhotography wrote:

I have f/1.4 lenses @ 35, 50 & 85.

My pre-order went back in earlier today and I'm #2 at a dealer (West Coast) that always gets plenty of units on day 1. I still have a month to think about it, but the more I did today, I have 3 fast big lenses and this will be a fantastic bookend. I'm getting happier by the hour and frankly the $400 differential between its price and what i was expecting was more of a philosophical b!tch for me. And when you compare vs other 135 alternatives (besides the Samyang) the price isn't even a $400 difference (I don't consider the Canon 135L in the same IQ category).

Apr 05, 2017 at 10:46 PM
ecarlino

DavidBM wrote:
GMPhotography wrote:

I have f/1.4 lenses @ 35, 50 & 85.

My pre-order went back in earlier today and I'm #2 at a dealer (West Coast) that always gets plenty of units on day 1. I still have a month to think about it, but the more I did today, I have 3 fast big lenses and this will be a fantastic bookend. I'm getting happier by the hour and frankly the $400 differential between its price and what i was expecting was more of a philosophical b!tch for me, but as you say David, I like this trade-off between aperture vs size/weight while getting a pure optic.

Apr 05, 2017 at 10:42 PM

Previous versions of ecarlino's message #13988822 « Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899) »