Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of ecarlino's message #13988360 « Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999) »

ecarlino
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

Fred Miranda wrote:
The Zeiss 135/2 APO ZF/ZE is currently priced at $1,499 and is considered a masterpiece.

The Batis 135 has 14/11 groups/elements, eight of which are ED.
The 135/2 APO is 11/8 with 4 ED elements.

To moderate my price criticism a bit, the Batis does have a lot of expensive glass inside of it.
And the images are pretty sweet.

I'm not familiar with Zeiss' pricing history over the decades, but my guess is that a premium brand doesn't set the price high for initial buyers while demand exceeds supply, only to later reset the price lower once the early adopters are saturated. However, I do recall a one time deal for some of the Batis lenses where they offered a $100 rebate. So, it's either pony up for the full price (once you're confident you understand the IQ and rendering characteristics) or wait a year for the used market, where price will be around $1600 for a year and then settle in around $1400. By then, certainly more options will be available along with a lot of sample images so a much better informed decision can be made.

A lot of times (rightly or wrongly), a slower / smaller lens is associated with lower price (and relatively / slightly lower IQ). In this case, they went for first class IQ.

I just went and looked at Nikon's line of native AF lenses and they have a whole range of primes priced between $1600 and $2200.

Maybe the whole f/2.8 thing set the expected price point in my head at the wrong location. Frankly, all the b.s. social media marketing Zeiss did over the past month also had a gimmicky, consumer, teen-age mentality that didn't help establish a high price point in my mind. They should have realized $2000 was going to be sticker shock relative to the rest of the Batis line (and the highest rumor price was $1800) and should have been putting out images that would have had us salivating to pay $2500 and we would have also ignored "f/2.8" and just realized how nice the images are.

Did I mention some of the sample images that are starting to float around are very attractive?

Apr 05, 2017 at 05:35 PM
ecarlino

Fred Miranda wrote:
The Zeiss 135/2 APO ZF/ZE is currently priced at $1,499 and is considered a masterpiece.

To moderate my price criticism a bit, the Batis does have a lot of expensive glass inside of it.

I'm not familiar with Zeiss' pricing history over the decades, but my guess is that a premium brand doesn't set the price high for initial buyers while demand exceeds supply, only to later reset the price lower once the early adopters are saturated. However, I do recall a one time deal for some of the Batis lenses where they offered a $100 rebate. So, it's either pony up for the full price (once you're confident you understand the IQ and rendering characteristics) or wait a year for the used market, where price will be around $1600 for a year and then settle in around $1400. By then, certainly more options will be available along with a lot of sample images so a much better informed decision can be made.

A lot of times (rightly or wrongly), a slower / smaller lens is associated with lower price (and relatively / slightly lower IQ). In this case, they went for first class IQ. Until we see other native, AF, stabilized options, it's hard to really say how much over-priced this is.

I just went and looked at Nikon's line of native AF lenses and they have a whole range of primes priced between $1600 and $2200.

Maybe the whole f/2.8 thing set the expected price point in my head at the wrong location. Frankly, all the b.s. social media marketing Zeiss did over the past month also had a gimmicky, consumer, teen-age mentality that didn't help establish a high price point in my mind. They should have realized $2000 was going to be sticker shock relative to the rest of the Batis line (and the highest rumor price was $1800) and should have been putting out images that would have had us salivating to pay $2500 and we would have also ignored "f/2.8" and just realized how nice the images are.

Did I mention some of the sample images that are starting to float around are very attractive?

Apr 05, 2017 at 05:34 PM
ecarlino

Fred Miranda wrote:

I'm not familiar with Zeiss' pricing history, but my guess is that a premium brand doesn't set the price high for initial buyers while demand exceeds supply, only to later reset the price lower once the early adopters are saturated. However, I do recall a one time deal for some of the Batis lenses where they offered a $100 rebate. So, it's either pony up for the full price (once you're confident you understand the IQ and rendering characteristics) or wait a year for the used market, where price will be around $1600 for a year and then settle in around $1400. By then, certainly more options will be available along with a lot of sample images so a much better informed decision can be made.

A lot of times (rightly or wrongly), a slower / smaller lens is associated with lower price (and relatively / slightly lower IQ). In this case, they went for first class IQ. Until we see other native, AF, stabilized options, it's hard to really say how much over-priced this is.

Apr 05, 2017 at 05:33 PM
ecarlino

Fred Miranda wrote:

I'm not familiar with Zeiss' pricing history, but my guess is that a premium brand doesn't set the price high for initial buyers while demand exceeds supply, only to later reset the price lower once the early adopters are saturated. However, I do recall a one time deal for some of the Batis lenses where they offered a $100 rebate. So, it's either pony up for the full price (once you're confident you understand the IQ and rendering characteristics) or wait a year for the used market, where price will be around $1600 for a year and then settle in around $1400. By then, certainly more options will be available along with a lot of sample images so a much better informed decision can be made.

Maybe the whole f/2.8 thing set the expected price point in my head at the wrong location. Frankly, all the b.s. social media marketing Zeiss did over the past month also had a gimmicky, consumer, teen-age mentality that didn't help establish a high price point in my mind. They should have realized $2000 was going to be sticker shock relative to the rest of the Batis line (and the highest rumor price was $1800) and should have been putting out images that would have had us salivating to pay $3000 such that $2000 would have seemed like a steal and we would have also ignored "f/2.8" and just realized how nice the images are.

Apr 05, 2017 at 05:32 PM
ecarlino

Fred Miranda wrote:

Maybe the whole f/2.8 thing set the expected price point in my head at the wrong location. Frankly, all the b.s. social media marketing Zeiss did over the past month also had a gimmicy, consumer, teen-age mentality that didn't help establish a high price point in my mind. They should have realized $2000 was going to be sticker shock relative to the rest of the Batis line (and the highest rumor price was $1800) and should have been putting out images that would have had us salivating to pay $3000 such that $2000 would have seemed like a steal and we would have also ignored "f/2.8" and just realized how nice the images are.

Apr 05, 2017 at 05:31 PM
ecarlino

Fred Miranda wrote:

A lot of times, a slower / smaller lens is associated with lower price (and relatively / slightly lower IQ). In this case, they went for first class IQ. Until we see other native, AF, stabilized options, it's hard to really say how much over-priced this is.

Maybe the whole f/2.8 thing set the expected price point in my head at the wrong location. Frankly, all the b.s. social media marketing Zeiss did over the past month also had a gimmicy, consumer, teen-age mentality that didn't help establish a high price point in my mind. They should have realized $2000 was going to be sticker shock relative to the rest of the Batis line (and the highest rumor price was $1800) and should have been putting out images that would have had us salivating to pay $3000 such that $2000 would have seemed like a steal and we would have also ignored "f/2.8" and just realized how nice the images are.

Apr 05, 2017 at 04:33 PM
ecarlino

Fred Miranda wrote:

A lot of times, a slower / smaller lens is associated with lower price (and relatively / slightly lower IQ). In this case, they went for first class IQ. Until we see other native, AF, stabilized options, it's hard to really say how much over-priced this is.

Maybe the whole f/2.8 thing set the expected price point in my head at the wrong location. Frankly, for all the b.s. social media marketing Zeiss did over the past month also had a gimmicy, consumer, teen-age mentality that didn't help establish a high price point in my mind. They should have realized $2000 was going to be sticker shock relative to the rest of the Batis line (and the highest rumor price was $1800) and should have been putting out images that would have had us salivating to pay $3000 such that $2000 would have seemed like a steal and we would have also ignored "f/2.8" and just realized how nice the images are.

Apr 05, 2017 at 04:26 PM
ecarlino

Fred Miranda wrote:

Apr 05, 2017 at 04:17 PM
ecarlino

Fred Miranda wrote:

Apr 05, 2017 at 04:15 PM
ecarlino

Fred Miranda wrote:

I'm not familiar with Zeiss' pricing history, but my guess is that a premium brand doesn't set the price high for initial buyers while demand exceeds supply, only to later reset the price lower once the early adopters are saturated. So, it's either pony up for the full price (once you're confident you understand the IQ and rendering characteristics) or wait a year for the used market, where price will be around $1600 for a year and then settle in around $1400. By then, certainly more options will be available along with a lot of sample images so a much better informed decision can be made.

Apr 05, 2017 at 04:13 PM
ecarlino

Fred Miranda wrote:

I'm not familiar with Zeiss' pricing history, but my guess is that a premium brand doesn't set the price high for initial buyers while demand exceeds supply, only to later reset the price lower once the early adopters are saturated. So, it's either pony up for the full price (once you're confident you understand the IQ and rendering characteristics) or wait a year for the used market, where price will be around $1600 for a year and then settle in around $1400. By then, certainly more options will be available along with a lot of sample images so a much better informed decision can be made.

Apr 05, 2017 at 04:12 PM
ecarlino

Fred Miranda wrote:

I'm not familiar with Zeiss' pricing history, but my guess is that a premium brand doesn't set the price high for initial buyers while demand exceeds supply, only to later reset the price lower once the early adopters are saturated. So, it's either pony up for the full price (once you're confident you understand the IQ and rendering characteristics) or wait a year.

Apr 05, 2017 at 04:09 PM

Previous versions of ecarlino's message #13988360 « Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999) »