Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of wallstreetonei's message #13970127 « C-LOG coming to 5DIV? »

wallstreetonei
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: C-LOG coming to 5DIV?

C-Log / S-Log + 10 bit is really what you want if you are seriously into Video so that you can truly get shadow detail out of underexposed areas. If you don't have C-Log + 10 bit, but you have C-Log + 8 bit, and you expose a scene how someone who has C-Log + 10 bit exposes the scene, you will not be happy with recovering Shadow Detail - it will be very sub optimal.

Yes C-Log + 8 bit would seem like a good idea, but if you really, really research how Canon Cameras, and their DR, deal with the typical Log type exposures for later processing, you will find that where the rubber meets the road is where it 'sort of' falls apart - i.e. it is far, far more critical with 8-bit to truly expose for the subject (i.e. not as much underexposing typically as is used with 10bit) so that you have capture good colours on the main subject and you don't try and capture the very last details in the highest exposed areas.

I'm not saying C-log + 8-bit is a bad idea - it isn't. It is just that it is not a be all saviour of wide DR scenes. With a typical Canon DR Camera, it is 'almost' as good to use a Neutral type Picture Profile and use proper exposure on your main subject and then in Post tweak the colours how you like them - instead of trying to recover all the underexposed parts of the scene that you really care about.

Mar 22, 2017 at 08:38 AM
wallstreetonei
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: C-LOG coming to 5DIV?

C-Log / S-Log + 10 bit is really what you want if you are seriously into Video so that you can truly get shadow detail out of underexposed areas. If you don't have C-Log + 10 bit, but you have C-Log + 8 bit, and you expose a scene how someone who has C-Log + 10 bit exposes the scene, you will not be happy with recovering Shadow Detail - it will be very sub optimal.

Yes C-Log + 8 bit would seem like a good idea, but if you really, really research how Canon Cameras, and their DR, deal with the typical Log type exposures for later processing, you will find that that where the rubber meets the road is where it 'sort of' falls apart - i.e. it is far, far more critical with 8-bit to truly expose for the subject (i.e. not as much underexposing typically as is used with 10bit) so that you have capture good colours on the main subject and you don't try and capture the very last details in the highest exposed areas.

I'm not saying C-log + 8-bit is a bad idea - it isn't. It is just that it is not a be all saviour of wide DR scenes. With a typical Canon DR Camera, it is 'almost' as good to use a Neutral type Picture Profile and use proper exposure on your main subject and then in Post tweak the colours how you like them - instead of trying to recover all the underexposed parts of the scene that you really care about.

Mar 21, 2017 at 05:03 PM

Previous versions of wallstreetonei's message #13970127 « C-LOG coming to 5DIV? »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.