Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Paul_K's message #13942487 « UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue »

Paul_K
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

I'm confused by the way you're using the Dynamic AF option

Your post and images seem to suggest you're initially focusing on a static subject within a fixed frame, and then change the composition withing the (new) frame, while using the AF-ON button to keep focus on your initial subject.

Obviously the best option for this type of shooting is using AF-S mode (focus on the subject, slightly press the release button, reframe, and take the shot)
Or when nevertheless using AF-C, aim on your subject, focus, press the AF-ON button, reframe and take the shot while keeping the AF ON button depressed (a IMO clumsy two finger needing operation)

The Dynamic AF only comes in play when shooting moving subjects i.e. focus with one focus point on a moving subject, then start shooting (fast or slow) a series of images, and trust the dynamic AF to keep focus on the subject while it moves withing the frame

I have using the Dynamic AF option this way on film bodies like the F90X and F100 (although the predictive dynamic AF on the F100, comparable with the much better and improved 3D Focus Tracking on modern DSLR's, was a bit of a disaster when I used it, reason why I haven't touched it since) and my DSLR's like most recently D3, D800 and DF for shooting surf, catwalk and fashion (models moving/walking on the beach, steet or studio)

(Nikon D3, 4/600mm AF-I + TC1.4, AF-C Dynamic AF tracking 51 points)

I wonder if the way it's apparently used in the examples isn't simply giving the wrong input/choosing the wrong AF settings for the type of shooting.
Especially since the AF of the D5/D500 (which I don't own but being a NPS member was able to seriously test when they were introduced) is far more sensitive and reactive then eg the D3 or D800.

If (as I get the impression) used in AF-C, focused and fiexd by depressing the the AF-ON button on one subject, then reframed, and not constantly keeping the point focused on fixed (including the moment when the release button is pressed to take the shot), it will simply during the split second the AF-ON button is released, refocus.

Mar 01, 2017 at 06:22 AM

Previous versions of Paul_K's message #13942487 « UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.