Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of ecarlino's message #13893105 « FE 70-200/2.8 GM: Sharpest and best low-light zoom weve tested »

ecarlino
Upload & Sell: On
Re: FE 70-200/2.8 GM: Sharpest and best low-light zoom weve tested

Chris_88 wrote:
This entire discussion about the 70-200 GM reminds me of the 90 Macro last year. Sony optimized that lens to perform its best at shorter/macro distances, while being a bit less impressive at infinity. Depending on use/test environment/level of fanboyism, I remember plenty of people complaining about the performance at infinity back then.

I get the idea behind stress-testing lenses at infinity, but sometimes I wonder whether we myself included focus to much on that data point.

actually, the only reason for testing at infinity has something to do with the bench not being able to do it any other way with Sony lenses (lensrentals has a write-up somewhere on that).

as with all testing, the results need to be taken in context and collectively with other tests and user-feedback and most importantly looking at shots on this forum and flickr (if you can find decent photographers there).

i like to look at 1000s of shots (or a dozen from Joshua and i can "tell") and develop a sense for (a) how good is it at its "best", (b) how bad is it at its "worst", (c) what conditions create either, (d) what % of my shooting fits into A or B.

{"best" and "worst" have nothing to do with "sharpness"}

Jan 25, 2017 at 01:45 AM

Previous versions of ecarlino's message #13893105 « FE 70-200/2.8 GM: Sharpest and best low-light zoom weve tested »