Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of melcat's message #13848080 « Starter flash »

melcat
Upload & Sell: Off
Starter flash

Kolbasz wrote:
Is that to say the lumopro listed on that site is a good one that would be with me for years?

I couldn't say anything about its build quality, but I think that flash unit is utterly unsuitable for you because it is a manual flash. I very strongly disagree with Hobby's premise that small portable flash should be shot manually. It may have something to do with having had access to good TTL flash systems since the 1990s, with my old OM-2N. Canon's has a couple of warts but I have found quite complex 3-flash setups do just work in E-TTL. And it isn't that I don't know how to use manual flash—I do so with studio lights and a flash meter.

Surely for your purposes you want to just push the shutter instead of doing Pythagoras in your head as I outlined in my previous post.

It looks like there isn't much money in the flash business for third-party makers any more. Years ago Vivitar was a more highly regarded flash brand than either Canon or Nikon, and Sunpak a decent brand (I've owned both) but I see some bad reviews on B+H for those brands now. Metz used to be top dog but went bust; they seem to be back now, but I have no idea how new Metz compares with old Metz. Maybe the review section of this site has some recent opinions on these brands.

That leaves Canon and Yongnuo (which seems to get good reports here). And it seems you can't get a tilt and swivel and zoom head without going to GN 46 on those brands! That would be the Canon 430EX II-RT mentioned above.

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:39 PM
melcat
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Starter flash

Kolbasz wrote:
Is that to say the lumopro listed on that site is a good one that would be with me for years?

I couldn't say anything about its build quality, but I think that flash unit is utterly unsuitable for you because it is a manual flash. I very strongly disagree with Hobby's premise that small portable flash should be shot manually. It may have something to do with having had access to good TTL flash systems since the 1990s, with my old OM-2N. Canon's has a couple of warts but I have found quite complex 3-flash setups do just work in E-TTL. And it isn't that I don't know how to use manual flash—I do so with studio lights and a flash meter.

Surely for your purposes you want to just push the shutter instead of doing Pythagoras in your head as I outlined in my previous post.

It looks like there isn't much money in the flash business for third-party makers any more. Years ago Vivitar was a more highly regarded flash brand than either Canon or Nikon, and Sunpak a decent brand (I've owned both) but I see some bad reviews on B+H for those brands now. Metz used to be top dog but went bust—they seem to be back now, but I have no idea how new Metz compares with old Metz. Maybe the review section of this site has some recent opinions on these brands.

That leaves Canon and Yongnuo (which seems to get good reports here). And it seems you can't get a tilt and swivel and zoom head without going to GN 46 on those brands! That would be the Canon 430EX II-RT mentioned above.

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:39 PM

Previous versions of melcat's message #13848080 « Starter flash »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.