Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Two23's message #13777795 « Low lighting event shoot »

Two23
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Low lighting event shoot

amandagillen wrote:
1. The dinner is tomorrow nt.....

2, . I have a D750, 50mm 1.8, 70-200 2.8 are the 2 lenses I use most of the time. I have the 24-120 VR 4 that I got with the D750 but I just don\'t love that lens

3. . The oNLY flash I have is the SB-500 and Ive never really had to use it with the pics

4. The ceiling is DARK BROWN and pretty high. The walls are older pinkish and white brick.

5. The CEO of this company is a dear friend. I DONT wanna disappoint yet he couldn\'t afford a \"real\" photographer either...and I will be better than his cell phone. Man, I just don\'t wanna screw this up. Its pretty far outta my league

6. They want pics of the speakers, candid shots of people eating at the table- just little group shots. You think the 50mm 1.8 will be too big? The 24-120 is only 4....I know the 50 and 70-200 like the back of my hand.

7. I usually spot meter but you think I should matrix in a situation like this?

1. You are SCROOOWED! Should have been on this a week ago.

2.. The 70-200mm will be worthless in that small space. The 50mm is mostly going to be too long. The 24-120 f4 really isn\'t up to the job if the light is really low, but you better learn to love it fast! It\'s your only choice.

3. Buy a big floppy coffee filter and rubber band it around the flash head. Try to make it big and \"poofy.\" It will soften the harshness of the flash. (Wax paper sheet might work too.) Check at home to see how much light this eats up.

4. You are SCROOWED! The X-Rite Color Checker can potentially save you ass if you know how to use it. Make sure you are shooting in NEF here! There will be some bounce from a white wall. Use it as a reflector when you can.

5. Let\'s hope he has a sense of humor. You should have a chance of coming out OK if your competition is cell phones, but those things are getting more sophisticated.

6. Candid shots will mostly call for 24mm-120 at the wide end. Up your ISO as high as you dare to lower shutter speed. Don\'t forget that with f4 you have less DoF so be very careful where you place focus point. Do not use flash with people who are at varying distances from you--the closest ones will over expose and the distant people will be dark. Flash for speakers, yes. Also for speakers I\'d go with the 50mm f1.8, try shooting f2.8 or so with it. I\'d turn off the focus assist beam on the speakers--camera should focus OK without it using an f1.8 lens. Test at home! The speakers will be the easiest part, but try to catch them between movements. I predict you will use the 24-120mm f4 80% of the time, the 50mm the rest of the time. You are very limited with lenses. If you know of anyone with something wide & fast (24-70mm f2.8, 28mm f1.8, etc.) I\'d be making some fast phone calls. Otherwise, watch your shutter speed, catch people when they aren\'t moving, watch your histogram, put in two memory cards and set them to \"NEF, duplicate.\" Charge your battery now (put your camera next to the charger so you don\'t forget the battery) and bring extra battery, extra memory cards just in case. I\'ll predict you will shoot less than 500 shots, probably more like 200.

7. Spot meter will be useless. Go with matrix. You need to have the camera set up for bang-bang shooting. Don\'t be messing with the camera and missing fast breaking shots. Color casts will be horrible so take several \"color checks\" with the X-Rite. Be sure to take a few with flash and a few without. I assume that while the light will awful it will mostly be pretty even? If so, you have a chance.

Kent in SD

Oct 24, 2016 at 09:40 PM

Previous versions of Two23's message #13777795 « Low lighting event shoot »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.