Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Luvwine's message #13760590 « Leica M Glass on Sony A7/Fuji etc. »

Luvwine
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Leica M Glass on Sony A7/Fuji etc.

rscheffler wrote:
In my own testing of 20-25 RF lenses at infinity focus distance on a variety of Sony a7 flavors, including some on the latest a7RII, I can\'t recall many instances where wider RF lenses (generally 35mm and wider) performed better on the Sonys. The CV 35/1.2 II is probably one, and the CV40/1.4 (and very likely it\'s sister lens, the 35/1.4) too, though the latter is not necessarily a technical tour de force compared to some other options.

Yes, there are many RF lenses that benefit centrally from the additional resolution offered by the a7R and a7RII, even when resized to M equivalent 18/24MP, particularly in respect to minimizing aliasing, but very few that IMO were equal or better in the outer 1/3 frame in the technically demanding infinity focus scenario. If you\'re shooting a lot at wider apertures and nearer subject distances where edge performance possibly isn\'t relevant, than a lot of lenses will be OK that are otherwise problematic for technically demanding applications.

Maybe a reason this isn\'t discussed much currently is because there are finally a decent number of FE native lens options and the Fuji lens line-up is quite extensive. But even a few years ago there wasn\'t much discussion about Fuji... perhaps because most who want to shoot RF lenses on mirrorless want to do so utilizing the lens\'s full native image circle, rather than a crop of it? From what I recall, the Fuji sensors also have fairly thick sensor stacks that even at APS-C size, result in some image quality reduction.

My recent a7RII infinity test included the 28 Lux and it clearly underperforms at the edges compared to M240 results. It\'s probably fine for near distances and any work where edge performance is not critical. The 50 Lux ASPH also underperforms technically at infinity distances on the stock Sony sensors compared to Leica. Again, in other applications it is likely just fine...

Ron,

I cannot compare the lenses personally on both bodies since I don\'t own a Leica body. I would be interested in seeing your testing comparing the Lux 28 on a M body to the results on an A7r2 body. I am basing any comparison to the Lens Rentals tests which, admittedly done at short range, seem to have a very good showing for the Lux 28 on an A7r2 once normalized for the size of output. Perhaps your testing can motivate me to buy a second body and try a Kolari Mod.....

At 35mm, I have used the CV 35/1.2 and I found it really good once stopped down, however, I preferred the ZM 35/1.4 to it--particularly at close range (equal at infinity stopped down) and also to the native Zony 35/2.8, which while I still own, is less exciting to me.

Again regarding 28mm Lux, I have been using it on A7r2 and like it quite a bit so far. It is a better performer to me at short range than the CV 35/1.2 was and have had some success with landscapes as well, though having owned it only for a couple of weeks, I cannot say I have a lot of experience yet. I have done some low light shots of people and food and liked the results but that is hardly demanding of corner or edge performance Here is one shot with a 28 Lux that is fairly typical of how I might use the lens for landscape:

Now here are a couple of 100% crops from that image. I suspect they were at about F8. These are processed with my usual sharpening of 48/.7/25, posted here at 80% quality jpegs and NOT sharpened for screen on output (I can upload unprocessed crops if you like) but I think demonstrate that the output is good enough for making large prints. I know the MTF\'s of the lens reveal some less than ideal performance in the corners (astigmatism) and that is for Leica bodies, so I was worried that it might suck on an A7r2, but I am not seeing that in anything perhaps other than the extreme corner so far. Thoughts? Would this image be more successful on an M body? if this image were downsized to 24 megapixels, would the M body make a better image?

Right edge crop:

Oct 10, 2016 at 09:20 PM

Previous versions of Luvwine's message #13760590 « Leica M Glass on Sony A7/Fuji etc. »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.