Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #13709056 « Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499) »

gdanmitchell
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Fuji Medium Format Digital System is on it's way...

TheEmrys wrote:
I suppose it depends on the price point Fuji can arrive at. If they have a sub-$4,000 body, ot could be a real game changer, even if lenses are at a premium. It is just possible considering the lack of engineering required for mirrorless. But there just isn\'t any getting around the cost of the sensor. Even cropped MF sensors are spendy, despite having a mature process at Sony\'s fabs.

Now, if this new system can have a simple electronic adapter and the lenses can be used on the X-Mount, things get really interesting. While running an aps-c and full frame tandem doesn\'t strictly appeal when all my lenses are already full frame equivalents, an aps-c and mf tandem looks interesting if I can mount all the MF lenses on my xt2.

Sub-$4000 would be a big surprise. I tend to think it would be more, but perhaps less than the current $7k Pentax 645z price. Of course if it were to come in below $4k (again, not likely in my view) that could be a serious game changer in the market.

One interesting thing is that when we think of MF we (at least those who have been around this for a while) tend to think of the real 645 format and other rather large film formats. But the \"mini-MF\" sensors of the Pentax and current Hasselblad and other systems is much smaller at only 33mm x 44mm. This is only approximately half the area of the 6cm x 4.5cm systems, and not quite twice as large as the 24mm x 36mm full frame sensors. (You can think of the mini-MF sensor area as being approximately equal to what you get from stitching two full frame images together.)

This means that there is considerable room to make these (mini) MF systems smaller than those old film systems, whether they use a Pentax 645z design or a mirrorless design. And while the lenses can\'t be as small as similar angle-of-view full frame lenses, they are smaller than the 6 x 4.5 system lenses.

Interesting times, no? :-)

Of course, this discussion can\'t be of much interest to those who aren\'t interested in the mini-MF format or in the Fujifilm offering, or those who think Fujifilm is embarking on a losing strategy.

Dan

Sep 04, 2016 at 08:51 PM
gdanmitchell
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Fuji Medium Format Digital System is on it's way...

TheEmrys wrote:
I suppose it depends on the price point Fuji can arrive at. If they have a sub-$4,000 body, ot could be a real game changer, even if lenses are at a premium. It is just possible considering the lack of engineering required for mirrorless. But there just isn\'t any getting around the cost of the sensor. Even cropped MF sensors are spendy, despite having a mature process at Sony\'s fabs.

Now, if this new system can have a simple electronic adapter and the lenses can be used on the X-Mount, things get really interesting. While running an aps-c and full frame tandem doesn\'t strictly appeal when all my lenses are already full frame equivalents, an aps-c and mf tandem looks interesting if I can mount all the MF lenses on my xt2.

Sub-$4000 would be a big surprise. I tend to think it would be more, but perhaps less than the current $7k Pentax 645z price. Of course if it were to come in below $4k (again, not likely in my view) that could be a serious game changer in the market.

One interesting thing is that when we think of MF we (at least those who have been around this for a while) tend to think of the real 645 format and other rather large film formats. But the \"mini-MF\" sensors of the Pentax and current Hasselblad and other systems is much smaller at only 33mm x 44mm. This is only approximately half the area of the 6cm x 4.5cm systems, and not quite twice as large as the 24mm x 36mm full frame sensors. (You can think of the mini-MF sensor area as being approximately equal to what you get from stitching two full frame images together.)

This means that there is considerable room to make these (mini) MF systems smaller than those old film systems, whether they use a Pentax 645z design or a mirrorless design. And while the lenses can\'t be as small as similar angle-of-view full frame lenses, they are smaller than the 6 x 4.5 system lenses.

Interesting times, no? :-)

Dan

Sep 04, 2016 at 08:49 PM

Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #13709056 « Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499) »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.