Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #13708543 « Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499) »

gdanmitchell
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Fuji Medium Format Digital System is on it's way...

rbf_ wrote:
gdanmitchell wrote:
bobbytan wrote:
You are right. Been down that road too. When we were in Iceland we were speeding to get to our location as the setting sun was just spectacular ... but we couldn\'t get there in time. If we did we would all have taken a few grab shots as there wouldn\'t be time to set the tripod up. So yes, the magical light may last no longer than a minute. It\'s just that I have not seen it described this way.
Good point! :-)

Take care,

Dan

I find that I often feel frantic as I don\'t often have time to be waiting for the light in a decent location. If the conditions seem good and I\'m reasonably near any of my pre staked out locations I\'ll try to get there in time. Hopefully with enough time to setup the tripod, compose and get a few shots I like this new term, Decisive Moment landscape photography

I shared another of my terms with Bill Neill recently — post-visualization. ;-)

Sometimes it is the case that we go out with a very specific image in mind and that we arrive at that spot at the right time with the image more or less already in mind. Sometimes I almost do that when I return to a location that I have previously photographed in order to refine my vision of the subject.

More typically we go to a general location or subject and then we \"hunt,\" looking around for the specific subject and composition that we will photograph and only discovering it as we do this careful assessment and looking on the scene.

In addition, we rely greatly on things that we cannot control. We can pick the time of day or the season, but we cannot control the color of the light or the density of the haze or the wind or the clouds or the particular colors of leaves or flow of water. So we learn to work quickly and intuitively and often decisively with what we find.

I think that the term \"pre-visualization\" has confused some people into imagining that it means to arrive on the scene with the mental image of the photograph fully formed and to then simply set about recording that image. But that isn\' what Ansel meant nor what others such as Weston meant when they used different terminology. Their idea was a bit more immediate and it understood the role that spontaneity has in creating the photograph. Rather than referring to what might be instead called pre-planning, it simply referred to imaginng the thing you were about photograph as a print. Essentially this only goes to looking at the subject, the ground glass, or today\'s EVF and seeing past the immediate representation of the subject there to what it will become as a print, and then making decisions about exposure and composition based on that thinking.

In this way, pre-visualization is not at all dissonant with the reality of working with serendipity on the scene.

:-)

Dan

Sep 04, 2016 at 12:07 PM

Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #13708543 « Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499) »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.