Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #13707670 « Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499) »

gdanmitchell
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Fuji Medium Format Digital System is on it's way...

jcolwell wrote:
I\'d like to have a Fujifilm XMF670 \"rangefinder style\" digital medium format camera, with a 233 MP sensor (60mm x 70mm, at 241 ppmm), and a super-big, articulated rear LCD. It would have a series of manual focus Fujinon XMF EBC lenses at f/4 and fixed focal lengths of: 16mm, 20mm, 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm, and 150mm.

The bodies of Fuji \"Texas Leica\" GW/GSW 670/690 rangefinder cameras were way smaller than the bodies of contemporary 670/680 SLR cameras. Same goes for the sizes of rangefinder vs SLR for the 645 format.

Leaving aside your modest MP sensor requirements... ;-)

.. why a rangefinder design? It is a serious question.

What I\'m trying to understand is why one would want to use a larger format camera off the tripod these days. It seems to me that given the image quality of smaller sensor systems these days that the even higher quality MF sensor system wouldn\'t provide any meaningful advantage when hand holding the camera. For handheld stuff, wouldn\'t it just make sense to use a smaller format camera, either mirrorless or SLR?

Is it just that you would want a smaller body size in MF? Or, more likely, mini-MF?

Thanks,

Dan

Sep 03, 2016 at 10:16 PM

Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #13707670 « Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499) »