Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #13706663 « Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499) »

gdanmitchell
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Fuji Medium Format Digital System is on it's way...

taran wrote:
gdanmitchell wrote:

Hmmm... I have fun and I experiment, and I stopped using film about 15 years ago. ;-)

Dan

That\'s great that your experiments you don\'t feel are conflated by digital. And I should say up front, Sony owes me nothing. I am merely pointing out that many things that were available as niche products in the film era, simply don\'t exist anymore, and no matter how complicated your post processing, cannot mimic the elegant simplicity of certain quirky systems that have given us some memorable shots.

At the end of the film era, $100 world gets you a 6*6 Holga, a roll of film and some 8*10\'s, plus a negative that you can blow up to 100 inches if you wanted.

Digital, FWIW, will never offer this.

And that\'s not saying all the things you mention aren\'t great, or that film, or Holga\'s, aren\'t a bitch to work with, they are... I\'m just saying, for some of us, digital photography might be a compression of artistic expression, rather than an expansion.

You should know that I started with film and used it for decades. I can relate to having a certain nostalgic feeling for it, but photographically I\'m happy to move on. Fortunately film technology and materials are still available for those of you who prefer to continue to work with them, and there are still folks doing beautiful work in that medium — a few come to mind: Jerry Uelsmann, John Sexton, others.

On the other hand, if the hope is that digital cameras will necessarily replicate all of the functionality and (sometimes lovely) quirks of film, I have a feeling that probably won\'t happen. For example, I really doubt that we\'ll see a high quality digital TLR like the ones I used so many years ago — the design solved a problem that is likely to be solved in a very different way in the era of mirrorless camera designs.

YMMV,

Dan

Sep 03, 2016 at 02:03 AM
gdanmitchell
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Fuji Medium Format Digital System is on it's way...

taran wrote:
gdanmitchell wrote:

Hmmm... I have fun and I experiment, and I stopped using film about 15 years ago. ;-)

Dan

That\'s great that your experiments you don\'t feel are conflated by digital. And I should say up front, Sony owes me nothing. I am merely pointing out that many things that were available as niche products in the film era, simply don\'t exist anymore, and no matter how complicated your post processing, cannot mimic the elegant simplicity of certain quirky systems that have given us some memorable shots.

At the end of the film era, $100 world gets you a 6*6 Holga, a roll of film and some 8*10\'s, plus a negative that you can blow up to 100 inches if you wanted.

Digital, FWIW, will never offer this.

And that\'s not saying all the things you mention aren\'t great, or that film, or Holga\'s, aren\'t a bitch to work with, they are... I\'m just saying, for some of us, digital photography might be a compression of artistic expression, rather than an expansion.

You should know that I started with film and used it for decades. I can relate to having a certain nostalgic feeling for it, but photographically I\'m happy to move on. Fortunately film technology and materials are still available for those of you who prefer to continue to work with them, and there are still folks doing beautiful work in that medium — a few come to mind: Jerry Uelsmann, John Sexton, others.

YMMV,

Dan

Sep 03, 2016 at 12:44 AM

Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #13706663 « Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499) »