Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of claudefiddler's message #13620628 « No Bad Days at Moraine Lake (Banff National Park) »

claudefiddler
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: No Bad Days at Moraine Lake (Banff National Park)

Scott Stoness wrote:
claudefiddler wrote:
Scott

The blown highlights in the sky probably can\'t be tamed with burning. Some tasteful cloning in detail might work As these photos get enlarged the highlights would become more and more obvious and in my opinion objectionable .
Perhaps you have an exposure that takes care of the highlights. It\'s worth looking carefully at this set of photos and learning to recognize when significant areas can be problematic. And regardless or the 12 stop dynamic range blown highlights in skies, trees, rocks, is quite common.

Claude: I have 3 images plus 2 and minus 2. I can recover any amount of highlights. But I am not sure where you are pointing out blown highlights. Not saying you are wrong - just that I am not sure where you think it needs changing. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Scott-All four show details highlights at least on my monitor. Image 1 obvious highlight in the sky. The snow dappled on the peaks in the background also looks to be too bright. Image 2- Same as image one and highlight in sky is showing cyan fringing. Also the bright area on the left lake shore could be brought down to better fit in with the tone scale. Image 3-In sky and reflection of the highlight in the lake. In image 3 I would have worked to eliminate the branches on the left side of the frame by moving 5-10 feet to the right. Image 4- also high light in sky. It also shows a yellow color.

Scott-I don\'t know what your experience is as a landscape photographer but you are obviously sensitive and aware of the drama of light as it unfolds. What I see in these photos is that with an awareness of some technical field problems your photos would benefit. My benchmark is a perfect 30x40 inch print. If you take the things I\'ve pointed out in your pics and blow them up to 30x40 or 16x20 for that matter the things I mention would be obvious and in my estimation a problem.

A simple curve move in PS or LR where you darkened the photos would easily show the bright areas. Also the eyedropper would show color shifts. Or an HS move could work.

Claude

Jun 27, 2016 at 08:44 AM

Previous versions of claudefiddler's message #13620628 « No Bad Days at Moraine Lake (Banff National Park) »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.