Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Spyro P.'s message #13362812 « Is film coming back? »

Spyro P.
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Is film coming back?

I switched from digital to film and kept it up for maybe... three years I think. I did everything at home, c41, trannies, printing, the lot. Then work and life in general caught up with me and I had to switch back to digital again.

If there is some sort of charm in developing, I just don\'t see it. For me it was the same boring routine it was back in the 90\'s. At least back then I could walk down to the shop and get whatever I needed, but in this century, having to plan months ahead to order consumables and worry if something happens to your carefully selected Minolta or Nikon scanner was just an added pain.

For me the appeal of film was all about the cameras. I think digital cameras are still basically shit, except some categories that I\'m not interested in (DSLRs), and some other categories simply disappeared. Good luck waiting for digital to make you a pocket rangefinder, or a mirrorless medium format, or a slim leica, or the selection of tiny wide lenses that we used to have. If you want any of the above you either have to other start shooting film again, or wait for decades.

Jan 07, 2016 at 01:49 PM
Spyro P.

I switched from digital to film and kept it up for maybe... three years I think. I did everything at home, c41, trannies, printing, the lot. Then work and life in general caught up with me and I had to switch back to digital again.

If there is some sort of charm in developing, I just don\'t see it. For me it was the same boring routine it was back in the 90\'s. At least back then I could walk down to the shop and get whatever I needed, but in this century, having to plan months ahead to order consumables and worry if something happens to your carefully selected Minolta or Nikon scanner was just an added pain.

For me the appeal of film was all about the cameras. I think digital cameras are basically shit, except some categories that I\'m not interested in (DSLRs), and some other categories simply disappeared. Good luck waiting for digital to make you a pocket rangefinder, or a mirrorless medium format, or a slim leica, or the selection of tiny wide lenses that we used to have. If you want any of the above you either have to other start shooting film again, or wait for decades.

Jan 07, 2016 at 01:49 PM
Spyro P.

If there is some sort of charm in developing, I just don\'t see it. For me it was the same boring routine it was back in the 90\'s. At least back then I could walk down to the shop and get whatever I needed, but in this century, having to plan months ahead to orders consumables and worry if something happens to your carefully selected Minolta or Nikon scanner was just an added pain.

For me the appeal of film was all about the cameras. I think digital cameras are basically shit, except some categories that I\'m not interested in (DSLRs), and some other categories simply disappeared. Good luck waiting for digital to make you a pocket rangefinder, or a mirrorless medium format, or a slim leica, or the selection of tiny wide lenses that we used to have. If you want any of the above you either have to other start shooting film again, or wait for decades.

Jan 07, 2016 at 01:48 PM
Spyro P.

I switched from digital to film and kept it up for maybe... three years. I did everything at home, c41, trannies, printing, the lot. Then work and life in general caught up with me and I had to switch back to digital again.

If there is some sort of charm in developing, I just don\'t see it. For me it was the same boring routine it was back in the 90\'s. At least back then I could walk down to the shop and get whatever I needed, but in this century, having to plan months ahead to orders consumables and worry if something happens to your carefully selected Minolta or Nikon scanner was just an added pain.

Jan 07, 2016 at 01:47 PM

Previous versions of Spyro P.'s message #13362812 « Is film coming back? »