Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Trijicon1's message #13054358 « RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome »

Trijicon1
Upload & Sell: On
RX1 + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

Audii-Dudii wrote:
Trijicon1 wrote:

I would say its medium difficulty. Here is what I did.

First thing to do is remove the bayonet plate by unscrewing the four mini screws holding it in. With a heavy duty scissors or shears, cut off the out lip leaving only the inner lip. This is how it should look.

Then you\'ll need a metal file and fine sand paper (320 grit is what I used).

First cover the inner optics so you do not scratch the glass as you work. I used spare foam and taped it down. This is the scary part. Grind down the out metal casing evenly. I went all the way the the angled section of the outer casing. This should provide enough relief so the bayonet plate can penetrate the bayonet section on the RX1.

To make it clean, I used black permanent marker and colored the exposed metal lip. It looks great.

So, as I understand it, you initially used washers to space the bayonet of the lens converter to the correct depth, then changed your mind and subsequently filed back the metal casing instead ... is this correct? If so, I\'m curious if the bayonet lock on your converter still works, as I did this mod today and it does not work on mine. I\'ve looked carefully at your photos and cannot tell exactly how much metal you filed off the converter body.

I initially machined back the angled lip to its base, as you did, but that apparently doesn\'t allow the bayonet to reach the proper depth to lock onto the RX1\'s bayonet, so I added some shims (layers of tape strips) temporarily underneath the bayonet to further space it away from the converter body, but the lock still doesn\'t lock. (For what it\'s worth, I have two RX1s and the converter will not lock onto either of them, so I don\'t believe it\'s just a matter of lens-to-lens variation in tolerances.)

Thoughts?

You are exactly right. I changed the design from adding shims/washers to lift the plate into the bayonet mechanism. However this concerned be because the plate was no longer flush with the WA adaptor body, which would reduce its structural integrity. So I went with this new method.

My locking mechanism does work. Its a bit tight, but it definitely locks. You may need to machine more of the lip. To test how much more you\'ll need to machine off, turn the ring of your RX1 to its macro mode. The front element and bayonet mech will extend out more. Put on your WA, and you\'ll find it should lock because it\'s extended. Then with the WA on, slowly turn the macro ring back to infinity. You\'ll know how much more you have to go as the element/bay mech goes back into position.

Also, I would take off the shims you have and put it back to original spec. I noticed the shims will reduce the extension of the locking arm.

Hope this helps. I\'ll take more pics in the morn of my final shots.

*******For some reason, this thread is corrupted. It will not display posts or replies past this post. Any more questions, please PM me ***********

Jun 11, 2015 at 05:46 PM
Trijicon1
Upload & Sell: On
Re: RX1 + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome

Audii-Dudii wrote:
Trijicon1 wrote:

I would say its medium difficulty. Here is what I did.

First thing to do is remove the bayonet plate by unscrewing the four mini screws holding it in. With a heavy duty scissors or shears, cut off the out lip leaving only the inner lip. This is how it should look.

Then you\'ll need a metal file and fine sand paper (320 grit is what I used).

First cover the inner optics so you do not scratch the glass as you work. I used spare foam and taped it down. This is the scary part. Grind down the out metal casing evenly. I went all the way the the angled section of the outer casing. This should provide enough relief so the bayonet plate can penetrate the bayonet section on the RX1.

To make it clean, I used black permanent marker and colored the exposed metal lip. It looks great.

So, as I understand it, you initially used washers to space the bayonet of the lens converter to the correct depth, then changed your mind and subsequently filed back the metal casing instead ... is this correct? If so, I\'m curious if the bayonet lock on your converter still works, as I did this mod today and it does not work on mine. I\'ve looked carefully at your photos and cannot tell exactly how much metal you filed off the converter body.

I initially machined back the angled lip to its base, as you did, but that apparently doesn\'t allow the bayonet to reach the proper depth to lock onto the RX1\'s bayonet, so I added some shims (layers of tape strips) temporarily underneath the bayonet to further space it away from the converter body, but the lock still doesn\'t lock. (For what it\'s worth, I have two RX1s and the converter will not lock onto either of them, so I don\'t believe it\'s just a matter of lens-to-lens variation in tolerances.)

Thoughts?

You are exactly right. I changed the design from adding shims/washers to lift the plate into the bayonet mechanism. However this concerned be because the plate was no longer flush with the WA adaptor body, which would reduce its structural integrity. So I went with this new method.

My locking mechanism does work. Its a bit tight, but it definitely locks. You may need to machine more of the lip. To test how much more you\'ll need to machine off, turn the ring of your RX1 to its macro mode. The front element and bayonet mech will extend out more. Put on your WA, and you\'ll find it should lock because it\'s extended. Then with the WA on, slowly turn the macro ring back to infinity. You\'ll know how much more you have to go as the element/bay mech goes back into position.

Also, I would take off the shims you have and put it back to original spec. I noticed the shims will reduce the extension of the locking arm.

Hope this helps. I\'ll take more pics in the morn of my final shots.

Jun 11, 2015 at 07:13 AM

Previous versions of Trijicon1's message #13054358 « RX1/RII + Sony WA converter (SEL075UWC) = Pretty awesome »