Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of BeeBalm's message #12536374 « Where Is Cute Ruby-Throat Taking Us ? ------ (15) »

BeeBalm
Upload & Sell: Off
Where Is Cute Ruby-Throat Taking Us ??? ------ (15)

Where Is Cute Ruby-Throat Taking Us ------ (15)

Hi PhotoFriends,

It has been a learning experience with the hummingbirds this summer for me. My first sighting was two hummers in May at different times only one sighting each of a full-throated male and an adult female. My guess is maybe the mom was getting her nest ready and three boys were born.

My Monarda (bee balm) started to bloom later do to a slow start of spring and cold winter. Then I noticed there were three juvenile boys in my garden. They were so skinny to start out and then they plumped up to beauties just flexing for me on their perch and then getting a few gorgeous rubies on their throat. It was a joy to see! The juvenile boys at first were skittish but with patience they got used to me.

So when August came there was a change, I didn’t see them as often and when I did, they were skittish again? I said how could that be!

Then after listening to you all and reading more I realized that my three boys left and in their place I had a Mom and a new juvenile boy. The Mom’s feathers were messy looking and the juvenile was so skinny. My guess is that Mom just had a baby boy and they are now my two new hummers in the garden. I haven’t figured out if there are more than two hummers now.

Now they are use to me again. So I hope the Mom and son stick around till mid-September. It’s cool to finally have an adult female in my garden to photograph!
So now you are all up-to-date on my hummer activity this summer.

I wanted to give you all a big thanks for helping me understand the life cycle of the Ruby-Throated Hummingbird

Here starts a new story, hope you enjoy!

It’s your Ruby-Throat here again!

I am going to take you on a flower tour! Doesn’t that sound good?

Pix 1
Let me decide which flower I should show you first … hmmmmm?

Pix 2
Let’s start here:
Lobelia ‘Cardinal Flower’

Pix 3
Did you all notice that new coffee shop that just opened Let’s stop for a cup!

Pix 4
Boy, that coffee aroma smells so good!

Pix 5
Okay, let’s all head this way to continue our flower tour!

Pix 6
Salvia ‘Mystic Spires Blue’

Pix 7
Salvia ‘Black and Blue’

Pix 8
Let’s take a rest here – it’s a long flower tour!

Pix 9
Beard-Tongue Penstemon ‘Red Riding Hood’

Pix 10
Lobelia ‘Great Blue’

Pix 11
My muscles are getting achy. Let’s all take a minute and stretch. Didn’t that feel great?

Pix 12
Pentas

Pix 13
Crocosmia

Pix 14
Lantana
(I have also photographed my hummers this summer enjoying the nectar of Monarda \'Scarlet\' and Lofos \'Compact Rose\').

Pix 15
It feels so good to be back on my perch after that long flower tour.

Thank you all so very much for coming on my first flower garden tour. Now I understand why Mrs. Gardener loves to give tours so much! It is tiring but so much fun, especially when such a fun group of gardeners attend like you all at N&W.

Have a great day everyone!
Stay tuned for more Ruby-Throated Stories

Hope you enjoyed this flower tour given by a little one like me “Little Ruby”
Mrs. Gardener said she is so proud of me

BeeBalm & Ruby

Aug 23, 2014 at 01:16 PM
BeeBalm

Hi PhotoFriends,

It has been a learning experience with the hummingbirds this summer for me. My first sighting was two hummers in May at different times only one sighting each of a full-throated male and an adult female. My guess is maybe the mom was getting her nest ready and three boys were born.

My Monarda (bee balm) started to bloom later do to a slow start of spring and cold winter. Then I noticed there were three juvenile boys in my garden. They were so skinny to start out and then they plumped up to beauties just flexing for me on their perch and then getting a few gorgeous rubies on their throat. It was a joy to see! The juvenile boys at first were skittish but with patience they got used to me.

So when August came there was a change, I didn’t see them as often and when I did, they were skittish again? I said how could that be!

Then after listening to you all and reading more I realized that my three boys left and in their place I had a Mom and a new juvenile boy. The Mom’s feathers were messy looking and the juvenile was so skinny. My guess is that Mom just had a baby boy and they are now my two new hummers in the garden. I haven’t figured out if there are more than two hummers now.

Now they are use to me again. So I hope the Mom and son stick around till mid-September. It’s cool to finally have an adult female in my garden to photograph!

I wanted to give you all a big thanks for helping me understand the life cycle of the Ruby-Throated Hummingbird

Pix 1

Pix 2
Let’s start here:

Pix 3

Pix 4

Pix 5

Pix 6

Pix 7
Salvia ‘Black and Blue’

Pix 8

Pix 9

Pix10
Lobelia ‘Great Blue’

Pix 11
My muscles are getting achy. Let’s all take a minute and stretch. Didn’t that feel great?

Pix 12
Pentas

Pix 13
Crocosmia

Pix 14
Lantana
(I have also photographed my hummers this summer enjoying the nectar of Monarda \'Scarlet\' and Lofos \'Compact Rose\').

Pix 15

Thank you all so very much for coming on my first flower garden tour. Now I understand why Mrs. Gardener loves to give tours so much! It is tiring but so much fun, especially when such a fun group of gardeners attend like you all at N&W.

BeeBalm & Ruby

Aug 23, 2014 at 08:42 AM
BeeBalm

Hi PhotoFriends,

Pix 1

Pix 2
Let’s start here:

Pix 3

Pix 4

Pix 5

Pix 6

Pix 7
Salvia ‘Black and Blue’

Pix 8

Pix 9

Pix10
Lobelia ‘Great Blue’

Pix 11

Pix 12
Pentas

Pix 13
Crocosmia

Pix 14
Lantana
(I have also photographed my hummers this summer enjoying the nectar of red Monarda and Lofos \'Compact Rose\').

Pix 15

BeeBalm & Ruby

Aug 23, 2014 at 08:38 AM
BeeBalm

Hi PhotoFriends,

Pix 1

Pix 2
Let’s start here:

Pix 3

Pix 4

Pix 5

Pix 6

Pix 7
Salvia ‘Black and Blue’

Pix 8

Pix 9

Pix10
Lobelia ‘Great Blue’

Pix 11

Pix 12
Pentas

Pix 13
Crocosmia

Pix 14
Lantana

Pix 15

BeeBalm & Ruby

Aug 23, 2014 at 08:05 AM

Previous versions of BeeBalm's message #12536374 « Where Is Cute Ruby-Throat Taking Us ? ------ (15) »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.