Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of StillFingerz's message #12532293 « Who has left Canon FF...for something smaller? »

StillFingerz
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Who has left Canon FF...for something smaller?

veroman wrote:
StillFingerz wrote:
My smaller will be Canon\'s next iteration of the EOS M, I nearly grabbed the M2 but without local repair/support it was a no-go. I\'m keeping fingers crossed that an announcement will come forth at Photokina...

My understanding is that Canon will not be selling EOS M cameras in the U.S. I suspect they\'re going to come up with something more competitive. In your view, was the M2 competitive with very good mirrorless cameras?

- Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes for me it is competitive, but not as it might be for most.

The accessory EVF and the minor other extras seemed just right and I would be okay with the 18mp sensor; it\'s only minus is lack of a wired remote, but the touch screen could substitute. My needs/wants are quite specific subject wise and even the original M nearly fit the requirements, and may still if nothing new is released in the US.

I\'ve looked over most of the mirror-less offerings and only Fuji has really interested me, not even the Sony\'s with that incredible EXMOR sensor hits the mark yet, they\'re just not mature enough for my tastes. SLRs and DSLRs with big bright viewfinders are my norm and so far no EVF gives me exactly what I need/want, we\'ll see what the future brings us.

I\'m partial to Canon\'s mid-sized body ergonomics and so far only Canon has a remote switch that works. My disability; high level paralysis, requires specific adaptations to equipment for me to shoot hand-held. I use a remote switch placed between my teeth so my tongue can half-press/fire the shutter, thus freeing up my paralyzed fingers/hands to hold body/lens.

To date only Fuji\'s remote is slim enough for my use and while I would like the lighter/smaller form factor, I\'m just not ready to give up my L glass, nor the advantages of FF when it comes to BOKEH and fast lenses; which I get from film atm; with digital I\'m shooting crop bodies, 40D/7D and 1DMk2N.

I\'m hoping an M3 comes out at some point, I\'ve written to Canon US and Japan, talked with support tech\'s from both locations about my desire, physical need/want, for a remote socket; even like the Rebel type, added to the M; they listened but who knows if they will respond.

I\'ve been happy with a G12 as the G series has wired remote access. The G1XII has peeked my interest but I really want interchangeable lenses, and other than Nikon, don\'t see another manufacture with a \'real/mature\' flash system; standard and macro.

I realize my issues are not the norm for Canon\'s or other manufacture\'s customers, but am trying to get us cripples a few features that would help us greatly. With four limbs paralyzed we tetras/Quads don\'t have finger function like a Para does; they usually have upper body functionality and can use equipment as able-bodied folks can.

We\'re in a very niche market that isn\'t often targeted, nor given our numbers necessary should be, but we still have that passion, need to create. It\'s simply a pleasure and it\'s humbling, that with my limited physicality, hand-holding, let alone still being able to shoot is still possible

Cheers from a not-so-able FM shooter,
Jerry aka stillfingers

Aug 20, 2014 at 08:01 PM
StillFingerz
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Who has left Canon FF...for something smaller?

veroman wrote:
StillFingerz wrote:
My smaller will be Canon\'s next iteration of the EOS M, I nearly grabbed the M2 but without local repair/support it was a no-go. I\'m keeping fingers crossed that an announcement will come forth at Photokina...

My understanding is that Canon will not be selling EOS M cameras in the U.S. I suspect they\'re going to come up with something more competitive. In your view, was the M2 competitive with very good mirrorless cameras?

- Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes for me it is competitive, but not as it might be for most.

The accessory EVF and the minor other extras seemed just right and I would be okay with the 18mp sensor; it\'s only minus is lack of a wired remote, but the touch screen could substitute. My needs/wants are quite specific subject wise and even the original M nearly fit the requirements, and may still if nothing new is released in the US.

I\'ve looked over most of the mirror-less offerings and only Fuji has really interested me, not even the Sony\'s with that incredible EXMOR sensor hits the mark yet, they\'re just not mature enough for my tastes. SLRs and DSLRs with big bright viewfinders are my norm and so far no EVF gives me exactly what I need/want, we\'ll see what the future brings us.

I\'m partial to Canon\'s mid-sized body ergonomics and so far only Canon has a remote switch that works. My disability; high level paralysis, requires specific adaptations to equipment for me to shoot hand-held. I use a remote switch placed between my teeth so my tongue can half-press/fire the shutter, thus freeing up my paralyzed fingers/hands to hold body/lens.

To date only Fuji\'s remote is slim enough for my use and while I would like the lighter/smaller form factor, I\'m just not ready to give up my L glass, nor the advantages of FF when it comes to BOKEH and fast lenses; which I get from film atm; with digital I\'m shooting crop bodies, 40D/7D and 1DMk2N.

I\'m hoping an M3 comes out at some point, I\'ve written to Canon US and Japan, talked with support tech\'s from both locations about my desire for a remote socket; even like the Rebel type, added to the M. I\'ve been happy with a G12 as the G series has wired remote access.

I realize my issues are not the norm for Canon\'s or other manufacture\'s customers, but am trying to get us cripples a few features that would help us greatly. With four limbs paralyzed we tetras/Quads don\'t have finger function like a Para does; they usually have upper body functionality and can use equipment as able-bodied folks can.

We\'re in a very niche market that isn\'t often targeted, nor given our numbers necessary should be, but we still have that passion, need to create. It\'s simply a pleasure and it\'s humbling, that with my limited physicality, hand-holding, let alone still being able to shoot is still possible

Cheers from a not-so-able FM shooter,
Jerry aka stillfingers

Aug 20, 2014 at 07:50 PM

Previous versions of StillFingerz's message #12532293 « Who has left Canon FF...for something smaller? »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.