Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of e6filmuser's message #12473958 « Crab spider with fungus infection? No, just pollen grains »

e6filmuser
Upload & Sell: Off
Crab spider with fungus infection

This species of spider Misumena vatia is common on flowers in gardens. I usually try to photograph it interacting i.e. with prey. This one, partially changed to its yellow form, looked so good against the pale, pastel pink of a hollyhock that I decided to make an exception. I was framing for compostion, with the spider taking up about a quarter of the frame.

I had considerable trouble seeing clearly, due to the diopter adjustment on the viewfinder having been moved. Anyway, I eventually got some images. I couldn\'t see them well enough to review in-camera in the sunlight so I retreated indoors. Then I was surprised to see numerous, tiny spheres attached by thin stalks to the anterior parts of the spider. It had to be a parasitic fungus, something I have never observed in many years of macro.

I transfered the images to my PC and processed them and then returned to take some closer shots of the spider. It was nowhere to be found so these are all I can offer.

In the circumstances, I forgot about composition and cropped close to the spider.

Well, it was interacting after all, but not to its advantage.

E-M1 on manual, Kiron 105 f16 ISO 400, twin TTL flash, hand-held.

Harold

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Previous versions of e6filmuser's message #12473958 « Crab spider with fungus infection? No, just pollen grains »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.