Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Alek Komarnits's message #12472833 « Three Cooper's Hawklets in my neighborhood - WOW! »

Alek Komarnits
Upload & Sell: Off
Three Cooper's Hawklets in my neighborhood - WOW!

So I\'ve been \"watching\" some Cooper\'s Hawks in the neighborhood - just awesome that they are nesting a couple of minute walk away from my house. They ended up having three Hawklets that all fledged in the last couple of weeks, but they are still hanging around.

So the neighbor who originally spotted the Cooper\'s Hawks called me two days ago and said all three hawklets are hanging out on their pergola on the back of their house ... and the view from their upstairs bedrooms is great. I figure they would probably be gone by time I get there ... but what the heck, lets grab my camera gear and wander over there - am I glad I did!

This was a bird photographer\'s dream as they ended up sticking around for an hour ... and did not seem to mind at all that I was sticking a 70-200/2.8 lens out the open window to take pictures of \'em. A few pictures are below - see more Cooper\'s Hawks at this link.

alek

P.S. I cross-posting to the Canon forum since pictures were taken with a Canon 7D and 70-200/2.8v2 (plus 2xTC for far away shots) ... which worked semi-decently ... but I was spoiled when a friend let me borrow his 1DX and 200-400 (thanks Chuck) ... holy crap is that a nice combination ... and all of a sudden, my 7D images look pretty darn noisy, even at ISO 400!

PPS. Eric: Sorry to hear about your Cooper\'s Hawk - it\'s fortunate you were there to help it.

July 3rd picture taken just before the first one fledged.

After gently cranking open the window, I had a clear view from about 30 feet away of all three hawklets.

Probably my two favorite images ... but man, it was hard to pick - see more here

Jul 18, 2014 at 04:16 PM

Previous versions of Alek Komarnits's message #12472833 « Three Cooper's Hawklets in my neighborhood - WOW! »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.