Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of e6filmuser's message #12465995 « Beautiful Miniature Inkcap Coprinopsis narcotica »

e6filmuser
Upload & Sell: Off
Miniature Inkcap Coprinopsis narcotica

My wife and I are quite keen mushroom hunters (and eaters, where approriate) and have been for decades. We still get surprises as I did when I removed the lid of one of our plastic garden compost bins.

What I saw looked like very stunted* Shaggy Inkcap or Lawyer\'s Wig Coprinus comatus. However, they are probably C. narcotica, now in the genus Coprinopsis, together with many other former Coprinus spp:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Coprinopsis_species

C. narcotica was thought to live on vegetable compost containing some dung. As mine were on coarse garden grass clippings I had doubts. However, recent information (via Mike Harrison of Thames Valley Fungus Group) says they can be found on compost without dung.

Species identification is tricky but I think narcotica is OK.

The colony kept producing fruiting bodied (mushrooms) in a succession, giving me chances to shoot many stages. Even so, they can complete expansion and reach the soft, inky stage within a few hours.

* Up to 1.5cm high rather than up to 15cm.

I find these very beautiful and am posting two sets of images. They are in date order , not order of development. See if you can work out the latter. They were about 15cm down in the composter so getting the angle of view and two lights on the subject was challenging.

E-M1, Kiron 105mm f11 (f16 for across-cap shots), twin flash, hand-held.

Harold

Jul 15, 2014 at 02:21 AM
e6filmuser
Upload & Sell: Off
Miniature Inkcap Coprinopsis narcotica

My wife and I are quite keen mushroom hunters (and eaters, where approriate) and have been for decades. We still get surprises as I did when I removed the lid of one of our plastic garden compost bins.

What I saw looked like very stunted Shaggy Inkcap or Lawyer\'s Wig Coprinus comatus. However, they are probably C. narcotica, now in the genus Coprinopsis, together with many other former Coprinus spp:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Coprinopsis_species

C. narcotica was thought to live on vegetable compost containing some dung. As mine were on coarse garden grass clippings I had doubts. However, recent information (via Mike Harrison of Thames Valley Fungus Group) says they can be found on compost without dung.

Species identification is tricky but I think narcotica is OK.

The colony kept producing fruiting bodied (mushrooms) in a succession, giving me chances to shoot many stages. Even so, they can complete expansion and reach the soft, inky stage within a few hours.

I find these very beautiful and am posting two sets of images. They are in date order , not order of development. See if you can work out the latter. They were about 15cm down in the composter so getting the angle of view and two lights on the subject was challenging.

E-M1, Kiron 105mm f11 (f16 for across-cap shots), twin flash, hand-held.

Harold

Jul 15, 2014 at 01:54 AM

Previous versions of e6filmuser's message #12465995 « Beautiful Miniature Inkcap Coprinopsis narcotica »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.