Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of gnbuzz's message #12401011 « West Coast View of Acadia National Park »

gnbuzz
Upload & Sell: On
West Coast View of Acadia National Park

Since many of you have come out West to photograph our beautiful part of the world, I thought I'd turn the tables (I'm a Seattle native). My daughter got her Masters from UNE, then we went up the coast to Acadia for hiking and photos. First off, I have to say, if I lived on the East Coast, I'd be in Portland as often as possible. It definitely had the most "West Coast vibe" of any EC city I've ever visited, is a foodie's delight, has a wonderful Museum of Art, and offers fantastic scenery just a few miles north or south, particularly along Route 1. Wow.

Acadia was fantastic. The Ocean Path is as spectacular as any hike I've taken in Olympic NP, which I consider my "home" national park. My main and constant challenge was the fog, literally thick as pea soup as to render many vistas completely opaque. In Olympic or Mt. Rainier, you can move on top of the fog and get some cool stuff. Cadillac Mountain, the highest point on the entire east coastline, north of Brazil, is just 1,500 feet. We drove to the summit six times before getting a somewhat clear view, albeit in harsh, midday sun.

A couple notes about the images below. First, nothing from the dramatic and iconic Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse. High tide occurred at sunrise and sunset (or thereabout) every day we were there. What's more, it was completely socked in by fog the two times I visited. Second, I don't know if the picture of Jordan Pond below was my best. I like one with a clear, starry sky, but the sky isn't as "starry" as I've seen of other places. It could have been. While taking the image that appears below, my daughter and I heard a coyote howling in the distance. A few minutes later, the howling was from much closer and there was a reply. Since we'd hiked out around the lake, we decided to pack up and move closer to the end by Jordan Pond House. For the only night we were there, the cloud cover was completely lifting and I was excited because I'd never tried photographing stars before. After snapping a few, there arose an almost unbelievable cacophony of loons calling and coyotes howling, it freaked us out. When we got to the totally dark and now fogged in parking lot, we heard the "pop" of someone locking their car, and that really chilled us, so we hightailed out.

Thanks for looking.

Glenn

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:49 PM
gnbuzz
Upload & Sell: On
West Coast View of Acadia National Park

Since many of you have come out West to photograph our beautiful part of the world, I thought I'd turn the tables (I'm a Seattle native). My daughter got her Masters from UNE, then we went up the coast to Acadia for hiking and photos. First off, I have to say, if I lived on the East Coast, I'd be in Portland as often as possible. It definitely had the most "West Coast vibe" of any EC city I've ever visited, is a foodie's delight, have a wonderful Museum of Art, and offers fantastic scenery just a few miles north or south, particularly along Route 1. Wow.

Acadia was fantastic. The Ocean Path is as spectacular as any hike I've taken in Olympic NP, which I consider my "home" national park. My main and constant challenge was the fog, literally thick as pea soup as to render many vistas completely opaque. In Olympic or Mt. Rainier, you can move on top of the fog and get some cool stuff. Cadillac Mountain, the highest point on the entire east coastline, north of Brazil, is just 1,500 feet. We drove to the summit six times before getting a somewhat clear view, albeit in harsh, midday sun.

A couple notes about the images below. First, nothing from the dramatic and iconic Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse. High tide occurred at sunrise and sunset (or thereabout) every day we were there. What's more, it was completely socked in by fog the two times I visited. Second, I don't know if the picture of Jordan Pond below was my best. I like one with a clear, starry sky, but the sky isn't as "starry" as I've seen of other places. It could have been. While taking the image that appears below, my daughter and I heard a coyote howling in the distance. A few minutes later, the howling was from much closer and there was a reply. Since we'd hiked out around the lake, we decided to pack up and move closer to the end by Jordan Pond House. For the only night we were there, the cloud cover was completely lifting and I was excited because I'd never tried photographing stars before. After snapping a few, there arose an almost unbelievable cacophony of loons calling and coyotes howling, it freaked us out. When we got to the totally dark and now fogged in parking lot, we heard the "pop" of someone locking their car, and that really chilled us, so we hightailed out.

Thanks for looking.

Glenn

Jun 10, 2014 at 05:08 PM

Previous versions of gnbuzz's message #12401011 « West Coast View of Acadia National Park »