Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Scott Kroeker's message #12374140 « Lightning Strike »

Scott Kroeker
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Lightning Strike

Thank you all very much for your comments/feedback/questions.

alatoo60 wrote:
That\'s a very beautiful lightning. But wait a minute, just recently there was ice and snow, and now you already have thunderstorms?

Sasha.

Thank you Sasha. You\'re right. 2 weeks ago you could still find snow here an there and on the lakes. Now, it is all gone. You know you live in Manitoba when you have the furnace and air-conditioner on in the same day!

NCAndy wrote:
Yes, standing in an open field near the only tree seems a bit hazardous! Very nice shot though.

From the exif, it would seem you use an ND filter for the long exposure? How do you know when to start a shot? Just at random and hope to capture the lightning?

Thank you Andy! I\'ve updated my OP with more details behind the photo. I was in a safe spot and wouldn\'t never risk my life for a photo. I used GND to help balance the sky and ground exposure. Though there was an opening above me it was very dark. Even at ISO200 and f5.6 I could still get 6 second exposures. The lightning was so frequent almost every time I clicked the shutter button I was capturing a strike.

caralan9 wrote:
Great photo - but not worth dying for

Thank you. I was actually safe. I updated my OP. :P

Chuck Eklund wrote:
Great lightning shot. I am also curious if you used a triggering device.

Chuck

Thank you Chuck. I do not have a triggering device. Fast shutters speeds would not have been an option unless I cranked up the ISO to unusable settings so I relied on long exposures.

May 27, 2014 at 07:48 PM

Previous versions of Scott Kroeker's message #12374140 « Lightning Strike »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.